30 June 2015

Treat Yourself Tuesday

Today was my travel day.  I realized over 1/2 way into the trip that I forgot to bring a USB Cable.  Thankfully Dell included a USB Extension cable that got me out of my jam.  We have new monitors and with that comes new sound bars. The old ones had a special plug on the bottom of the monitor.  The new ones require USB but they only give you a short cord.  I had been setting the USB extension cords aside and just hooking up a USB cable to the monitor.  There are USB ports on the side which, so it’s pretty slick.  In this case I used the extension cord and didn’t have to mess with the monitor, way to get me out of a jam. 

The office it’s self that I went to is very small.  A total of 2 people work there and a 3rd person starts tomorrow.  I was very surprised that no one asked me if I wanted to go to lunch.  I thought that was rude and inconsiderate.  That’s okay, I treated myself.

The work was done and I was left all alone by lunch time.  The whole place shuts down between 12:30 and 1:30 in the afternoon.  The door locks and that’s just how they do business.  I’d love to work out of this office, it’s far removed from the politics of the office I am in or the politics of our headquarters.   However, to drive 2 hours 1 way to work would be a bit excessive.  Nice for the once and a while trip but I just couldn’t do that every day, let alone the wear and tear on my car. 

So I treated myself for lunch.  I was 30 miles away from the pie place.  I just went there.  Had a Ruben with Coleslaw and a piece of Peanut Pie.  It was topped with Peanuts, a layer of Peanut Butter, a smaller layer of Chocolate and a Graham Cracker Crust.  Very good!  It wasn’t my Celebration Pie, which is no longer sold but it was good.  I hope they bring back Celebration Pie.  It was the first Pie that was part Cake that I have ever had.  Just so awesome. 

My work day ended at 3p when I finally got home.  I was very tired.  All I wanted was a nap.  Then I got a phone call from AT&T they of course told me that they couldn’t help me with my voice mail problem.  They offered one type of service with Uverse and that was it.  So my choices are keep what I have or go back to a Plain Old Telephone Service (POTS) Line.  I’m keeping what I have.  I presently have an account with You Mail which is an awesome voice mail service.  It reads caller id and greets your caller by name.  So for example.  Hi Sally, Jeremy isn’t available right now, please leave a message.  I get transcripts on my phone and it even alerts me to missed calls.  They have built in spam protection so if you get a robo call they block it.  Pretty cool.  I’ve got a business account and it’s $10 a month, but I got a coupon so it’s $9.00 a month.  If I keep it I can pay for a year of service instead of doing the month to month thing and then it’s even cheaper.  The only thing they don’t do that the phone company does is light up the red light on the phone when I have a message.  It’s either you check your cell phone for messages or login from a PC or call to check in.  I am big on only one voice mailbox so that is why I pay for the business account, it allows me to forward my home phone and my cell phone so no matter who calls all of the messages are in 1 mailbox.  The best part is they give you 30 days to try it, if you cancel they refund your money no questions asked.  You can do other things like setup specific greetings for specific callers (based on their phone number) so you could tell Aunt Fred to go to the store and get some bread before she comes over and if Uncle Joanne calls you can tell her that your unavailable.  She will have no idea that Aunt Fred is coming over.  Kind of slick.  They offer a free account which will support 1 phone number, so if you wanted to try it you can.  It’s a scaled back account and isn’t feature rich.  You can keep a free account for life (or as long as they stay in business).  I believe they serve the US & Canada only at this time.  Visit them at youmail.com if your so inclined.  This is not a sponsored post and I don’t get anything from them, just passing on what I feel is a good service.  Now I am debating do I pay them or go back to Uverse.  I mean I’m paying for both when you think about it. 

Last night on the way home I hit a bump and I think I have knocked one of my tires out of balance.  I had some issues today but perhaps it’s just the way the new tires are.  I am going to drive it for a couple more days and if I still think there is a problem then I will stop in to ye old tire shop and ask them to check my rubbers for problems.  I almost did that today but successfully talked myself out of doing it.  Hopefully, I won’t be sorry.  I figure if there is a problem it will need to be addressed this week. 

Wowzers my phone was blowing up today with email from work.  That is nothing new and you really notice it when your away from work.  Speaking of which I found a HUGE problem with my PTO.  I took two days but the system doesn’t know how to divide so it was charging me for 4 days.  I talked with HR and got that fixed, I had them fix my time off for the concert next month as well.  Now I have a nice healthy PTO balance like I thought I should have.  I found out that I haven’t been the first person to be bitten by that.  Maybe someday they will fix that bug.  Until then I will be extra careful.

I saw something that resonated with me today on Facebook.

People wait

all week for friday,

all year for summer,

all life for happiness

That is so very true.  I am probably at the most unhappiest point of my life.  I realize that it’s my job to make sure that I am happy.  The difficult part is figuring out how to make myself happy.  I keep putting things off and waiting for the other shoe to drop.  I’ve been doing that for 2 years now.  I have to stop it, move on and live my life.  Saying it is one thing, putting it into action is another.  I am going to message the guy that I think is gay and a friend of mine to see if he wants to grab a bit to eat and catch up.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  I don’t have to be forthright with my motive and if something doesn’t feel right we can just be friends.  It’s been years since we have seen each other.  I am interested to see where this goes.  Hopefully he has come to terms with whatever his sexuality is and hopefully he is still hot.  Time will tell.

Back to the old bump and grind tomorrow.  Then hopefully a partial day on Thursday and we can slide on in to the holiday weekend.  Talk with you all later.  Take care and be well.  Be happy too!

 

No comments: