19 July 2016

Vet Time Again

Had to take today off and take Mr. Bear in because he was blocked again.  Like clock work he peed in the truck on the way, so he unblocked himself.  Given that I decided against putting him in the hospital.  I inquired about them hooking up a catheter and flushing him out but the doc didn’t want to do that.  They wanted me to pay them to babysit him for 12 hours and then see where we go from there.  I took the day off, I can take him home and baby sit him for free, plus he will be more comfortable at home.  So home we went.

He was scared and didn’t feel good, which I totally understand.  The vet started him on an antibiotic as a preventative measure.  I watched him and he was eating and drinking, he asked for food and water.  However, he couldn’t keep anything down within a short time it all came back up that was after he tried to urinate.  I knew we had to go back.

So I rang the vet and asked, they agreed with me and I made an appointment.  He is now in the hospital, they have placed a catheter and he is officially unblocked.  They are flushing him out and will monitor him.  Ideally they would like to keep him for 2 days.  The estimate I got goes from a low of $700 to a high of $900 and that doesn’t take in to account the money I have already spent on him this morning.  2 days seemed to do the trick last time so I am thinking we will do that but if there is anyway I can get him back tomorrow I would rather do that.  They really want to do surgery to change him physically from a boy to a girl.  I won’t put him through that, while he would never block again it would be quite painful, plus I can already tell you I simply can’t afford it. 

Bear & I had a serious heart to heart, I told him what I always say and that is if you want to give up, it is okay. I understand, I’ll miss you but will know that your not suffering anymore.  I’ve never had an animal that I have been able to read and have such a strong bond with.  We get each other.  I told him that I could probably save him this time, but not so sure if there is a next time that I will be able to afford it, as my money is going. 

I am really in debt and at the end of the day I have to eat and have other bills to pay, plus buying food for the others.  I don’t want to have to make a choice, I don’t want my back to be against the wall – I hate when that happens and I am doing all I can to prevent it, but I think that I am fighting a battle that in the end I won’t win.  Doesn’t mean that I am not going to try or that I am giving up now. 

So back to work tomorrow.  Then I am out on Thursday & Friday with the car issue.  I can spring Bear from the vet tomorrow night or Thursday.  Then hopefully all stays well for a while and I can get back to some form of normal. 

Everyone here knows that Bear is missing.  Momma and Marvin seem to miss him the most.  I know that we all will sleep easier once we have him back home and know that he is okay.  Poor Bear and my poor wallet.  I am glad that I can get him the help he needs, but I can’t afford to extend myself too much further or else I will need help. 

Would have rather posted a normal blathering, but life happens and we all have problems.  Hope things are sunnier in your part of the world. 

1 comment:

Jude said...

Aww I hope he can come home feeling much better today. Good luck!