22 September 2016

Giving In

This morning I called AT&T to inquire about how much it would cost to add tethering to my cell phone.  Since I have the unlimited grandfathered in data plan, they don’t offer tethering on any unlimited plan.  I was told about a new plan that just came out.  Unlimited Talk & Text, even if I text internationally as well as 3GB of data for $52 a month, that is with my discount.  That is a huge savings and the best part is there is no overages if I exceed 3GB, they just throttle the data to a lower speed.  If you find yourself using more data you can always upgrade plans without a penalty.  It sounded awesome to me and I don’t know why I did it because I said I would never, ever leave or give up unlimited data.  However, they made me an offer that was very attractive and I could have taken my sweet time but decided to change plans.  I hope that was the right choice because there is no going back to the plan I had before.  I do qualify for the unlimited plan they offer now because I have UVERSE but it would actually make my bill go up by $5 from where I was at.  Saving money is always a good thing.  This deal will help me out or so I hope, the savings was the motivating factor.

I did test the tethering and it works.  It actually shouldn’t work because we have a security policy in place at work that prevents this.  You can get it enabled but it requires approval.  They won’t say no because it’s you own the device.  However I am glad that I didn’t have to go through all of that red tape.  This will come in handy when I am on call and if I am away from home.  I don’t suspect I will blow through 3gb of data but then again you never know.  On-call starts next week and I am not excited about it but am excited about the earning potential it has, plus I may learn a thing or two – not too shabby.  I would just as soon take the on call stipend and not have to bill for any calls, which would mean that it was quite for a solid week.  That I believe will happen, not sure if this will happen next week but I hope so. 

Got a call back from a lawn guy who wants to come out over the weekend, told him come on out I don’t have to be home, you can look around and give me your best price.  I had similar conversation with another guy via email.  I am getting eager to make the change and be done with it.  Thinking before you act is always the best approach.  It’s kind of sad that I have to fire Lawn Boy but at the same time he isn’t treating me well and didn’t understand why I was so upset and disappointed.  Had he not spoken to me in a disrespectful manner none of these extra steps would take place.  I also suspect that he may have mixed feelings and decide to not continue to do business with me before I get a chance to play my card.  I just want this to work out to my advantage and don’t want to jump from the frying pan into the fire. 

Woofed down lunch, got a massage coming up.  I sure do need it my upper back is really bothering me.  I had a muscle relaxer last night and I didn’t want to get out of bed this morning for any reason.  Moved the alarm up 5 minutes but that didn’t help things, just delayed the inevitable. 

Got extra security added to my accounts so that no one can make any changes unless they have an extra password.  It’s a pain to have to add this but it’s for my own protection.  I mean if I want to flush my finances down the drain it’s my business and I don’t need help.  Waiting for the letter to arrive from the bank and depending upon it’s content I may engage Law Enforcement to see if they can’t catch the bastards.  I suspect that since they were declined twice they figured out they got someone with questionable credit and they won’t bother to try to do this again, but then again you never know. They may go dormant for a while and then strike again.  Better to have protection in place than to fly blind and wide open.

The world has certainly changed a lot.  I would have never thought of identity theft would be such an epidemic but with the invention of the cyber age it makes sense.  I don’t understand why people who have such remarkable talent can’t use their skills for good instead of evil.  Think about that for a moment, if they did the world would be such a better place.  Chances are that I would likely not have the job I do.  While it is job security for me, there are times when all of us in IT/Security get awful tired of this crap, even if it is job security. 

Well time to prep for my rub a dub-dub.  I hope that she works out all of the kinks.  Not sure if I will be able to see her next week since I will be on call.  I have to ask about that.  Plus I have someone high in the food chain that wants to take me to lunch next month and it will of course be a week that I am on call.  Ah well it will all work out soon enough. 

As per usual, I hope all is well in your world and that life is treating you well.  Talk with you all again soon.

No comments: