21 September 2016

Another day, another problem

This morning I learned the reason for the extra inquiries on my credit report.  They are both fraud.  My identity was stolen a couple years ago when someone filed a fraudulent tax return in my name.  I spoke with the bank in question this morning and learned that the malicious actor has both my correct date of birth and social security number.  Credit was not granted.  They listed me as the primary cardholder or person responsible for payment and then listed authorized users who are more than likely the people who would be running up the bill if the applications would have been approved.  Credit inquires stay on your credit report but the bank agreed to change them to view only, meaning that I would be the only one to see them, so as to not detract from my credit score and to help future lenders make a fair decision and not presume that I was declined credit.  The funny part of this is I actually applied for a card with this bank earlier this year.  The malicious actors applied twice last month. 

I already have fraud alerts on my credit bureau reports so no new credit can be opened without my approval.  Now I am wondering if somehow the result of my credit card compromise last week was the result of the malicious actors.  So more work for me, I have to contact each creditor and get them to put some additional fraud protection in place so that no one can make changes to any of my accounts.  While it seems like wasted effort, I will be happier in the long run for being proactive now instead of having to be reactive later.  You just don’t know what length an identity thief will go to. 

Last night I picked up an old phone book that had been sitting on the coffee table in the living room for the longest time.  In there I found a treasure trove of lawn care services.  I have called and emailed most of them.  Now it’s just a matter of sitting back and waiting for a reply.  Ideally I would like to have a replacement in place by Friday but that might not happen, so if I can get a replacement in place by next Friday then I will be happy.  I really don’t want Lawn Boy coming back ever again, but I am not terminating his service until I have a replacement in place.  It’s just like quitting your job, you don’t quit until you have a new job lined up. 

Outside of that not really much else to report on.  Got my pension paperwork and have to make a decision on how I want to roll it over.  It’s going into an IRA but I am thinking about a Roth IRA.  That’s all I got, hope all is well for you.  On to a boring meeting. 

No comments: