18 May 2016

Angry

Last night I filed away the license key for my recent purchase, in doing so I wondered where the upgrade was that I purchased for my other laptop.  I kept thinking Windows 10 but no it was Windows 8.1 Professional.  I got it from Microsoft so I searched through my emails and of course I can’t find it.  I’m pretty sure it’s archived in a PST file from Outlook that went flaky on me and I can no longer open even after running pstrepair.  I kept looking in all of the same places trying different keywords and no returns for what I was in search of.  So what if I have to rebuild my laptop?  The answer is simply to contact Microsoft according to what I read on line and they will send you an email with the key code but you have to provide them with a lot of information before they will cough up the key.  I paid a pretty penny for it so I don’t want to just throw caution to the wind and just buy another Windows 10 Pro key as tempting as it is.  I still have a few places to search but if I can’t find it I will call.  I am angry at myself because I didn’t follow my own procedure.  Thankfully I am not in a disaster recovery mode and this is all to be prepared.  I like to have all of my ducks in a row and be organized.  I guess I was enamored by the shiny screen and the fact that I can turn it from a laptop to a tablet with a flip of the screen.  I some how think that I probably printed it out and stuck it some place.  Thank God I was able to find the Bit Locker Recovery Key.  I also found the recovery key for my One Drive Account.  So many keys, codes and passwords it’s tough to keep it all straight.  Then again there isn’t anything straight about me. 

Today is going by faster than I thought it would.  I viewed a webcast that was recorded at the direction of my new boss.  Lots of interesting information.  Headed to a webinar on Ransomware in about 10 minutes.  That is scary stuff that no one wants.  It encrypts all of your files and holds them as ransom until you pay money for the decryption code.  The code either will not work or the authorities could have moved in and shut down the server after you submitted payment, in which case you will never get a code.  Best defense for this seems to be back up your data and do it in sets, as well as have security software running.  Usually you get this from a suspicious email or a social engineering phishing attempt.  People will always be venerable to these types of attacks as the cyber criminals are getting more clever as time evolves.

In cat news I woke up to find Momma going to the bathroom in the kitchen, I skipped her morning dose of medicine and gave her something to treat her issue.  Poor girl I bet she feels horrible.  I am trying to help her but doesn’t seem like I am doing so well.  Everyone else is pretty well normal.  Well time to run.  Talk with you peeps later.

No comments: