31 March 2016

How did it go?

Things started off really well.  I felt very good.  Then the time came for my big question, which was is there any reason why you wouldn’t hire me?  Yeah wished I would have NEVER asked that one in this interview.  I was told the only reservation was lack of education and I was questioned about why I haven’t gone to College or even attempted something at a local Community College.  The truthful answer …. I fucking hate school.  I did my time in High School and I am DONE with it.  There is no hope for College in my future.  I can’t imagine doing that and holding a full time job, even taking 1 or 2 classes.  The answer I gave … Never really made time for it.  So then he goes well this is problem that can be remediated, correct?  I said uh sure.  Then he asked me if I was still interested in the job.  I said of course.  So he ended with you will be hearing from HR very soon. 

The best thing that came out of this is that I was recognized for my impeccable Customer Service.  I was also told that he would have never entertained speaking with me unless he trusted me.  It was emphasized that there is some serious confidential work that comes with this job and it’s not something that you can talk about.  I knew that going in, that doesn’t bother me at all.

When we were done, my whole face was red.  I felt my ears on fire and I could sense my pulse beating in my face.  I was disappointed about the whole college thing.  He wants me to go to college.  Well that’s so that I don’t get stagnate.  This all stems from a leading question of where do you see yourself in 5 years.  Yeah well you have to give a bullshit answer.  If I told the truth he would have hung up.  The truth is I’d like to be a millionaire and retire.  I can understand continuing education through seminars or other types of learning but I shouldn’t have to sign up for a college course.  Yes we have a tuition reimbursement program but you have to front all of the money and then show that you passed with a minimum of a grade of B.  Now they added on to that and said that if you leave within 1 or 2 years of taking a course you would have to pay back all of the money that you got as reimbursement.  I am not made of money, that is why I work.  I see this whole reimbursement thing as a trap to get me in debt or create an obligation and I simply won’t fall for that.  I’ve made it this far in life with no college and I can make it the rest of my life with no college.  I am very confident in that statement. 

I got back to my desk and sent a thank you note along with examples of documentation.  Then I get an email back asking how my Excel skills are.  I was honest and said that I know the basics.  I am not an excel guru and that is mostly because it involves math and I am allergic to math, sort of like college.  I figure that he is going to make me an offer.  I know that he really likes me and that we work well together. 

I am trying to sort out in my mind if I am made an offer if I should accept it or reject it.  There were a few things that he said that scared me a little bit.  I mean I don’t want to leap and then wonder if I am going to have a job or get in too deep.  At the same time I think wow this is a huge opportunity.  I really want to get away from taking phone calls all day and hearing about people bitch because word doesn’t work or the computer system sucks, etc.  A person can only take so much of that and then you want to start to scream.  I suppose there is a shelf life to telephone support unless you really enjoy it.  I don’t mind once and a while doing it but every single day, no thanks.  That was something I was aware of when I accepted the job but I needed a job.  I put up with it for almost two years and I think it’s time for a change. 

The other thing that I was asked if I would stay for the long term or if I would hop along to something else.  He said that my resume shows that I don’t stay very long at one place.  Yeah company’s go out of business and reorganize.  I haven’t left every job by choice.  I left the one job that I have 5 years of service at on my resume to show that I am loyal.  I like to stay in one place unless I have to move on, I won’t.  As an employer you have to keep me happy with pay, benefits and a great work atmosphere/culture.  I like a modern upscale building but hey I can work out of a wood shed if I have to just have ac in the summer and heat in the winter. 

I have this innate ability to lack confidence in myself and to talk myself out of situations and opportunities.  I know deep down inside that there is always a risk of failure and that is why I don’t pursue things.  In this case if I get in too deep there is no safety net.  Meaning that if I fail in the job they will kick me to the curb, good customer service skills or not.  Right now since there isn’t another income to fall back on and I am in debt beyond my height I have to be able to hold a job and make a specific amount of money if I am to survive.  Take away my income and I am screwed.  1 paycheck away from being bankrupt.  I also don’t want to live my life in fear like I did when I worked at my last job.  Everyday I was looking over my shoulder.  I am so happy to have gotten away from that environment.  2 months of unemployment was a small price to pay in order to get to where I am now.  I am very thankful of the opportunity that I have and well that is a sure thing and my job is secure.  Take the other thing and it’s a total gamble. 

I need to think about it and to do some research which means talk to people.  I will be able to make a decision hopefully soon.  Then again he may not want to offer me the job because he too thinks it’s too much of a risk.  Either way I look forward to hearing the decision. 

Best thing I read today … I was at McDonald’s and there was this very hot dad there with his son.  The kid threw all of his fries on the floor, the dad spanked his son.  I immediately threw all of my fries on the floor hoping for the same reaction.  Priceless!

Hard to believe tomorrow is the 1st of April.  Had an idea for a joke to pull but don’t think that I am going to follow through.  Now it’s time to pay attention to Bear and get in bed because tomorrow will be knocking before I know it.  Take care and we shall talk again soon.

No comments: