25 November 2015

Thanksgiving Eve

Here I am stuck at work, no early release today and I am not happy about it.  Plus my boss phoned and asked me to pick up on-call early because she is letting the late shift guys go early.  Not exactly sure how that is fair but it’s money in my pocket if anyone calls so sure I will be more than happy to help out. 

Monday night when I took out the trash I looked up and there it was.  Yeah a full moon and I am on call.  Without warning I just said oh fuck me!  I figured I would be in for a hell of a ride.  Thus far it’s the calm before the storm.  I got 1 call early on Tuesday morning.  I took care of it and finished getting dressed and still got to work with 1/2 hour to spare.  I hope it stays quiet even though I would like the extra money.  The best part is that I get Thanksgiving day and the day after off.  There was an error made when the notification was sent out.  Now if someone calls the boss and has a special request then I have to help, otherwise I am free.  Saturday we start back to normal and I am thinking I will be pelted over the weekend, but maybe not because people will be traveling back home – be a shame if they were all stuck up in the air with no way to contact me.  Yeah that is what I hope for quiet.  I don’t mind a call here and there but constantly no thank you.  I guess working a holiday on call can be both good and bad. 

We have a lot of people out today and consequently those of us that showed up for work, have to pick up the slack.  So I am on the phones and watching email now, as is everyone else.  I see were busy which I didn’t think would be the case because it’s almost 2p and I figured most people would have gone home for the day.  Some people are probably working from home trying to get last minute things done before family and friends show up.

Last night I got my rainbow bow tie in the mail.  Looking forward to wearing it tomorrow.  I hope I can pull it off.  If it’s not too tight then I will be okay but if it’s choking me then it will be a no go. 

Not a whole lot to report everyone is doing okay.  Calm and quiet is the way I like it.  No drama or events to write about.  This is the perfect time of year to hibernate.  Speaking of which Bear asked to sleep with me last night so I carried him into my room.  He was very happy!  I also left a bowl of dry food for him and much to my surprise he ate it up.  Seems like one of the kids is always hungry.  Not a bad thing I suppose. 

Looking forward to consuming great food tomorrow.  However, I am finding this time of year difficult.  It really didn’t bother me much last year.  This year it’s difficult, I just want someone to share the holiday with and I really miss my late partner.  I know that this will eventually all work it’s self out but right now it’s no picnic.  There are many things in my life and that have happened to me in this past year that I am thankful for.  Mostly that I am able to support myself, the kids and I have managed to hang on to the house as well as put a new roof on it.  There is a sense of pride and accomplishment that I get from being able to make it on my own, there is also some fear that comes with it as well because there is no safety net and if you fall it’s going to hurt.  Still I try to focus on the positive and hope that as each day passes it brings me closer to the next guy that will be in my life, that is if there is a next.  I do have doubts.

So back to the fun and games that I call work.  Hope all is well for all of you.  Thanks as always for stopping by!

1 comment:

Jude said...

Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving!