13 November 2015

Swing …. Strike 2

My timing was spot on as usual.  I was early.  I waited outside for him for a minute or two and then decided it was too cold so I went in.  I grabbed a table and sat for a couple minutes.  My cotton mouth kicked in so I decided to grab a soda and continue to wait for him.  As I am walking back to the table with my soda, my phone started ringing.  It was him.  He said that he would be 10 minutes late.  No problem.

It was about 10 minutes give or take.  He walked in the door and he was pretty tall, I could also smell the fact that he was sweating.  His profile said that he was fit.  He had a few extra pounds as do I.  None of this is a deal breaker for me.  He also had a full beard, not happy about that but still. 

We ordered, he took his sweet time.  He grabbed a beer.  I went to refresh my soda and when I came back he was playing with his phone.  He acted like someone just died but then said everything is okay.  Food came and he didn’t pay attention to what he ordered, it had jalapenos in it, so his mouth was on fire.  He chugged his beer like a frat boy.  Not a big deal. 

Our conversation was about movies, he had an opinion on every movie ever made – which I guess qualifies him to be a movie critic.  He wants to stay in the area for a while but eventually move.  I told him that this was only my second date in my lifetime, I explained that my partner passed away.  I also told him that I didn’t drink.  He tried to get me to tell him the name of my employer which I wouldn’t budge on that.  I told him I was an open book so he could ask me anything  Now keep in mind we don’t know each others last names and we are just getting to know each other.  Neither of us know if the other one is a loon, so it’s best to keep things generic.  I just told him that I worked in the area and wanted to leave it at that for now. 

All during the meal he played with his phone, we were talking and he was playing on his phone.  Then he excused himself to use the bathroom since we were both done eating.  He came back and said he was taking off, he had things to do.  Yeah uh okay.  He told me earlier that he didn’t have anything to do until 1p on Friday.  He shook my hand and said keep in touch, right.   I was expecting that we would hug but that didn’t happen.  Then he sprinted out of the restaurant.  I grabbed my coat and followed.  We were walking the same way, he looked over his shoulder and saw me.  There was no acknowledgement, if anything he walked a little faster.  I knew that he would look back again to see if I was following him, first chance I got to duck him I did. 

My heart sank … I wished that things would have turned out differently.  Not sure what about me scared him away or if he was just a hyper guy.  He yawned a lot, it was as if he just woke up.  His profile said he was always late, that was no lie.  I drove home and just wanted to cry.  This is exactly what I didn’t want to happen.  I will honestly be surprised if I ever hear from him again.  I also don’t know that I will entertain a date from someone that is 27 again. 

What if he contacts me?  Well that kind of depends upon what he has to say.  It really sucks that I have to work today.  I could easily spend the day in bed.  However, there are deadlines looming and I have to perform today, so like a money at a circus I am going to start my day of tricks. 

Have a nice weekend!

1 comment:

Jude said...

Aw I'm sorry it didn't go as you'd hoped. I cannot stand seeing someone constantly checking or being on their phone when they should be giving their attention to the person they are with.