28 November 2022

Thank God for Data Backup

I’m not exactly sure what happened but I managed to loose my archive of porn when I did my data transfer.  I used the copy command and confirmed that everything copied in place.  All of the files and size of the total files matched.  I deleted the original and man that freed up some serious space.  However, what I didn’t know is that when I went to move additional files to the new drive it managed to lose some of the data that was already transferred.  So much for reliability. 

The horror came when I went to try to recover the files and didn’t see them in my on-line data backup providers console.  Fortunately I figured it out and there is far too much data to try to restore it by downloading it.  I had to pay for the data to be restored to a hard drive and then shipped to me.  I got that squared away this morning and it was not a cheap option.  Once I get the data off of the drive they send me I can return it for my money back but I think I am going to keep it and just put it some place safe offline so that if there ever is a need again I can recover easily.  Of course they will ship the drive by FEDEX and chances are really good that I will need to be here to sign for it.  I only hope that it arrives later in the week and not tomorrow since I won’t be here. 

I was really upset when I saw the data was gone, that’s a lot of downloading and there are some items that were part of subscriptions that I can’t get back.  I am so glad that I was able to find it in the archives and get it restored.  Not exactly the way I wanted to start my Monday. 

As for the new drive, I have formatted it in NTFS it was originally formatted EXFAT which is typical for USB items.  I am doing some testing before I go trusting it again.  If it passes great if it fails well then I will format it one last time and send it back for a refund and get what I originally wanted.  This was a bargain find and sometimes you truly do get what you pay for.  It really honestly shouldn’t be a problem.  This is my first External SSD (Solid State Drive) but they are designed the same the idea is that it’s just a memory chip and there are no moving parts so it should last longer than a traditional spinning drive.  I know this will work out one way or another but I hope that it’s the easy route for my sake.  It will take some time before I truly trust it and even then I probably will have some doubts.  Looks like it’s going to take a bit of time before this is truly complete. 

In other news I still have yet to order any 2023 Calendars which is kind of odd for me.  Normally they have all been picked out and are here.  I am not sure why I am waiting but I am not terribly in a hurry to do anything but go back to bed. 

It is rough getting back into the groove the only nice thing is that there isn’t any catchup to play or email to dig out of due to the break, that is the other great thing about a holiday.  When I take off 2 days next week coming back will be extra rough because there will be catchup to play and email to dig out of.  I’ve formed a new habit when I am not on-call and it’s the weekend I turn off work email on my phone and don’t turn it back on until Sunday night. 

Gator had me up 3 times last night and I didn’t get a whole lot of sleep but I am trying my best to power through the day.  Might take some caffeine and sugar.  Fortunately thus far today is not that busy.  Tomorrow will be a busy day and me meeting with a vendor in the afternoon, which is the whole reason why I need to go in.  I am anxious to get that over with and get home for the day.  I do plan on leaving a bit early but that kind of depends on how things are going for the day in general. 

Ready to get today over with so that I can shave and get back to bed.  I sure am tired and that little data scare didn’t help me any.  Just glad that I can afford the option I chose. 

Here’s hoping that things will be fast moving and calm so that I can relax a bit, clam down and get the rest that I need tonight.  Thinking about soup for lunch, it sounds so good and it’s quick to fix.  Not exactly sure what I am eating tonight.  I know I won’t starve but I am starting to get tired of Turkey, there is a little bit left along with a lot of ham.  Perhaps a sandwich and some stuffing as a side then some Chocolate Cake.  It’s not as good as the restaurants cake but it will do. 

Hope you have a good day.  Two more days after today left in this month and then we are in full down hill swing mode to running the year out in the final month of December.  Take care, stay warm and be well.  

No comments: