29 October 2016

The Bad Day

I feel like my life has been turned upside down, I can say that it has changed.  We had a major layoff at work.  Several people I worked directly with and knew because we were in the same office.  I understand that it was a pure business decision and that it was not personal.  However, that doesn’t make it any easier.  I still have my job but the reason why it sucks for me is because I have to disable access and get people out of the system.  I hopefully will be able to finish that on Monday provided people don’t bother me. 

Everyone was invited to a meeting so they could get an explanation of why the reduction in force.  Oddly different executives delivered the news to individual departments.  Slick Willy that delivered the news to us didn’t help quell fears and told us that it’s possible this could happen again.  It’s not planned right now but that is not to say that it won’t happen again.  Translation … what he actually just said is we are going to have a round 2 but it will happen when you lease expect it.  One thing all of these people had in common is they were at the top of the pay scale and had many years of service.  I am far from being at the top of the pay scale and I haven’t been there that long.  Still it doesn’t provide a true warm fuzzy.  I am slightly paranoid and rightfully so. 

As if that is not bad enough, one of my co-workers is being a cunt.  We do the same job and have to deal with confidential information on a frequent basis.  Mum is truly the word and you don’t talk with anyone about terminations.  So she sends me a text message as we are going into the meeting.  She is on vacation.  She asked me what the meeting is about.  I didn’t want to take any chances so I referred her to our boss.  That pissed her off and she became argumentative.  I explained to her that I simply wasn’t at liberty to discuss the matter.  She said that I was lying and that we should just keep things professional, she was done with me.  WTF you whacky bitch.  See I thought we were friends but apparently she is bi-polar so one moment she likes you and then when you piss her off she gets mad.  This has happened and she has been talked to before.  Her actions not only hurt me but made me mad.  It distracted me from doing my job and ruined my day.  I stayed an hour and a half after my normal shift ended crafting an email to her letting her know that I was fine with the boundary that she has set and we can just be coworkers.  I told her how I felt and how mad and hurt I was.  I also told her that she wasn’t going to bully me and her behavior had to cease immediately.  This makes for an uncomfortable work environment, we are coworkers and we are both required to have very close interaction with the other.  She won’t tell me jack shit about herself but she let me open up and tell her all about my life, lulling me into a false sense of security.  I kind of knew that I shouldn’t have opened up to her but once the cat is out of the bag, your done and can’t wrangle it back in.  I don’t even know if she will read the email but it is marked for a read receipt.  I also called the boss and filled him in on what happened.  He just laughed and told me that I needed to calm down, give it time and everything would be fine.  I wanted him to talk with her again and rein her in but he wasn’t willing to do that.  He just said to keep him posted.  She will likely be her cunty professional fake self, no longer offering me breaks since I am the new guy and throwing me under the bus every chance she gets.  All I want to do is my job, come in work and go home.  I don’t need to make friends and I am going to stop trying.  All that happens in the end is that I get my feelings hurt and wish that I had never opened up.  At the end of the day she would push me in front of a bus if she had the opportunity.  There is zero trust for her and zero respect for her in my book.  I can be cordial and we can fake get along but meanwhile I will be mentally cussing her out.  If things don’t calm down and the boss won’t do anything then my only other choice is to file a formal complaint with HR.  I want to shy away from that at all costs.  However, if you force my hand I will do it in a heartbeat.  I am not going to walk on egg shells or cow tow to anyone, that is a hostile work environment and were not supposed to have that type of environment. 

Went car shopping today.  Found out that I have champagne taste on a beer budget but it wasn’t a total surprise to find that out.  I kind of knew that in advance.  The SUV that I want I can’t afford.  I can get another car fully loaded for a reasonable monthly payment.  I want to move today but given the recent events I told myself that this was an informational gathering trip only.  I test drove a car and that put me one step closer into acting today.  There are specials going on and combined with my discount it’s a smart move.  Still I am shy to make a financial commitment.  Maybe next week maybe next year.  I really want to have something by turkey day but that might not happen and won’t be the end of the world. 

So now I am off to go find something to eat and try to relax and enjoy the remainder of my evening.  I am super stressed out and long days combined with a bitchy coworker didn’t help matters at all.  I could use a massage and a good man right about now.  Hope your week was way better than mine.  Talk with you all again soon.

No comments: