29 November 2016

Da Bad News Bears

Nothing wrong my my Bear.  Thank goodness!

Yesterday I was just over whelmed with bad news.  The day it’s self was okay, hard to get out of bed and go back to work but I did it.  It was leaving and coming home that is when things went to hell in a handbasket.  It started with my car.  The display in the car was black and didn’t come to life.  As a result of this I had to ride home in silence because no matter what command I issued the system was stuck.  Hey it’s a computer, it’s going to have issues.  It shouldn’t but it will.  So I made it home.  Turned the car off, opened the door and then started it back up, presto the screen came to life.  That is exactly what I figured would happen.  One time not a problem.  Two times, need to get it looked at.  Three times well that’s when I say there is something seriously wrong.  The brains of this thing are located in the dash and I don’t care who does it once they rip out the dash, the car is never the same.  Sort of like wrecking the thing, bending the frame and then getting it back to drive.  It will never drive the same.  Let’s hope this was a one time thing.  I know I have coverage for it but that would involve me taking time off from work and I really don’t want to do that.  Bear left me a nice mess to clean up and he needed a bath, not what I wanted to do but hey that’s life.

I brought in my packages that the UPS person delivered from my Amazon order.  Everything was intact and correct, so something to be thankful for.  I tried to clean up Bear which is when I discovered it was too much and time for a bath.  Passed out supper for the kids, opened the packages – threw away the trash and finally made my self supper which was frozen mac n cheese.  Not the best thing in the world but I made up for it with dessert after Bears bath it was Banana Split Ice Cream from Blue Bunny.  That stuff is awesome, not good for me but my taste buds sure do love it.

It was 7:30p when I sat down and was going to turn on TV but didn’t.  I needed to check my phone because I had been away from it for a while.  That’s when I got a message from an old boss of mine, who I also consider to be a friend.  I have a crush on him but he doesn’t know that, he might suspect but I have never addressed it.  He told me that he was getting a divorce and I thought I was going to pass out.  His wife had mental issues and cheated on him, she went for treatment but decided not to come home.  Prior to leaving she got physically abusive with him and he’s put up with this for 3 years.  It’s time to cut the cord and get his life back.  From photos you’d think he had a perfect home life but apparently that is not the case.  I feel badly for him and for his 2 boys.  He finds himself a full time single working dad and he is very busy.  I had sent him something in the mail and was very surprised he got it so quickly.  Anyway, I composed a reply to him and sent it.  By now it’s 8p. 

I knew that my friend who’s wife is sick was going to get some news yesterday.  So I called to check in and see how he was.  He was and is a wreck.  This is the first conversation where he cried and he is not one to show that type of emotion.  He will show anger and happiness but I haven’t seen him cry ever.  So she has stomach cancer.  It is not curable, not her strain but anyone who gets it there is no cure for it.  That is a lot to swallow.  However, she is on chemo and they hope that her body responds so the tumors shrink.  It’s possible that she could go into remission but she will never be cured.  If her body doesn’t respond to the chemo then there is one other alternative treatment available.  He didn’t get into that.  If that fails then you just make her comfortable until she passes.  My gut told me when all of this started that this was not going to have a good outcome, but I held out some hope that I was wrong.  Things just don’t look good right now, but you take them one day at a time, which is all you can do.

Now as if that isn’t bad enough.  His sister has Breast Cancer and opted to have a double mastectomy earlier in the year.  She has undergone a combo of chemo and radiation.  Things don’t exactly sound peachy there and he seems to think she is going to pass away.  His sister is a Doctor.  She had to closer her practice because of her diagnosis.  She is also in the process of getting a divorce and the woman is loaded.  Her husband is a Doctor as well and he simply couldn’t deal with all of this so he decided to move and see other people.  It’s a complicated mess.

Then add on that he has a sick cat.  She has a Thyroid problem and is allergic to the medicine.  He of course thinks that she is going to pass away as well.  So he will lose his wife, his sister and his cat.  To be left all alone with a dog that they just got.  I of all people know that in the blink of an eye your world as you know it can be changed forever.  There isn’t anything anyone can do to make things go back to normal.  Right now I think that he is still in a state of shock and depression.  I believe that he will likely loose his wife but as for the cat and his sister I have no idea.  I just told him if you need something call, if you want to talk, call and don’t hesitate, don’t question yourself just do it.  I’m here and happy to do anything that I can to support you in this difficult time.  I’d love nothing more than to go out to eat with them again but sadly I think that is off the table for a long time.  He and I may get together as we have in the past couple months but she won’t be there and she helps keep things interesting.

It’s now around 8:30p and when I hung up with him I checked my phone and my old boss had replied to my email.  I could have kept a dialog going with him but opted not to reply.  I expressed my feelings and told him that I’m here for him.  I doubt that he will reach out to me but I offered. 

Wow I was t-totally shocked by all of that bad news that I had just taken in.  It affected me in ways that I didn’t even know.  I woke up early this morning and was having problems hearing out of one ear.  Nothing major, just sinus issues.  I went back to bed and when it was time to get up I could hear just fine.  I felt horrible but my hearing was intact.  I was hot and just felt like a day in bed couldn’t hurt things.  So I opted to take a day off.  I had breakfast, my usual meds and 2 Benadryl.  I was out until about 3p.  I was awake for an hour to eat lunch but quickly passed out again.  I slept the bulk of the day away.  I figured that I would leave the house to get the mail but have since cancelled that idea.  I am staying put.  I paid bills and feel a little bit better but my body is still telling me that were getting sick.  Not what I wanted but it has been expected since we have had yin-yang weather.  Warm one day, cold the next – back and forth.  Change of seasons always gets me.  If I stay home tomorrow I will reach out for medical care.  If I go to work and feel ill there is always the doc in the box at work.  If I make it in and feel that bad I know that I can always come home.  Not how I want to spend my time but I know that I am covered for close to 2 days. 

I’d like to make it back tomorrow.  There is someone leaving and I really want to take care of that.  However, I listen to my body and do what it tells me.  If I don’t then I won’t be any good to anyone.  I feel the sinus stuff flowing but it’s no where even close to what February was like.  My goal is to prevent anything that I am hit with from ever getting that bad, it was no fun. 

Now I am going upstairs and having the obligatory Chicken Noodle Soup and feed the children.  I want to come back down here and play for a while but not sure if that will happen.  I feel really bad for my friends but hope that everything works out for the best.  I am kind of at a loss for words, which if you know me is something that is rare.  I mean just look at this post I am chatty as all get out.  Part of that I think comes from being alone and the other part well it’s just part of who I am as a person.  I like to gab amongst other things. 

Take care and I hope that tomorrow is a better day.  The best news is that all of my bills are paid for the moment.  More are on the way, call it the cycle of life. 

1 comment:

Jude said...

So sad about your friend with stomach cancer. I had someone close to me who got stomach cancer, and they just removed his stomach and made him a little one with *I think* part of his intestine or something. He lived for many years without problems. When he did pass away later on it was from a different health problem. I hope your friend will come through this!