18 May 2022

Almost like a vacation day

It’s a rainy day here, overcast and a little on the chilly side. Great day to sleep in or take a nap. I am kind of envious of Gator because she had her breakfast and then went back to bed. Today was the perfect day for that and I really wished that I could have joined her.

Yesterday morning I had an itch on my neck, just one side. I thought nothing of it since I had my shower already, I just scratched and moved on. My neck is shaved with a haircut and it goes a little wonky from burning to stinging and sometimes a little itch. That itch bothered me off and, on all day, long. By the time I was home it was driving me crazy. I put on some after shave and moved on. Things calmed down. This morning I wake up and my entire neck is itching and I am broken out in little bumps all over the place. What in the world is this fresh hell all about? I cleaned my neck off and put on some Cortisone Anti-Itch cream. That is not cutting the mustard and I want to scratch so bad. I took an extra allergy pill, even though my allergies are fine I figured it would help control the itch. This has to be razor related. My sheets and pillow cases were just in the laundry as was the shirt I wore yesterday. No new detergent. I do have a new bar of soap but it’s 3 weeks old and I don’t use that on my neck. Good golly an itch no matter where it is at is just one of those little annoyances that drives you crazy. It’s tough to resist scratching because that feels so good. I will most likely be breaking out the numbing cream I have to see if that will take this away.

Given the above I am so glad that I didn’t go in today even though I am normally home on Wednesday’s it’s one of our mandatory days that I should be in the office. I was really glad that I went in yesterday because the big boss called me directly. I hate that and hate dealing with him but it’s just one of those things where you smile and help them. I didn’t rush him but I was eager to hang up the phone. Of course, I had work to do when I hung up with him. He’s on some bullshit project mission to invent work thinking that he is streamlining things or making my job easier. Things are comfortable and I know the process, don’t mess with it. It’s working but of course in business the big dogs think they can make a name for themselves by improving things, particularly things that aren’t broken but soon will be after their improvements.

None of the small group of people I visit with were in yesterday, same was true for last week. Perhaps the odds will be in my favor the next time I try to visit with them. I am thinking of not going back for a couple weeks just because. Next week I will be on call and I hate traveling home while something could be brewing at the office. The week after that the week starts on a Tuesday because Monday will be Memorial Day. I think it will feel too much like going in on a Monday but I may give in and go in anyway. Still yesterday I noticed that not many people are coming in to the office and I am sure it's that way across all of our locations. People just aren’t crazy about getting out of their homes, spending money for gas and then the commute all to be able to do what they can already do from the comfort of their homes. The pandemic spoiled us with this and now that more people have a taste of working from home, they just don’t want to give it up and I totally get it. However, I think going in one day a week is good for the soul, it’s not always something I look forward to and I don’t like the extra early wake up time or the commute (when it’s rough) but I do feel pretty good at the end of the day when I am finally home. It feels like I accomplished something even if all I did was sit in my office all day and look at the 4 walls. It is nice to see other people and even mutter the occasional hello.

I was in the bathroom yesterday just had finished washing my hands and felt someone touching me on the shoulder and then talking to me. It took me a minute but it’s a guy I hadn’t seen in 2 years. There still are people that I used to see on at least a weekly if not daily basis that I have yet to see again since coming back to the office. That initial meeting is always a bit refreshing and slightly odd. He frightened me at first, good thing I had just went to the bathroom.

For now, it’s just a humdrum boring day, nothing scheduled or planned. No meetings or calls scheduled and that can make for a long day but it’s also like being on vacation as long as no one bothers me. I’ve already been bothered once this morning and know that I will have a little bit of work to do in a bit when an email comes in but otherwise, I think I should be home free. There is one call that I don’t look forward to tomorrow but other than that the rest of the week should be smooth sailing right into the weekend.

Hope that you’re having a great day and that the sun is shining in your neck of the woods. Have a great Wednesday!

No comments: