12 July 2024

Thursday Night

My workday ended early and I got the trash out.  Just sat around watching TV and being with the cats.  Each of them had to have their turn for attention. 

We had supper and I passed out treats as per usual.  Surfing social media and relaxing.  I heard a siren and it sounded close.  Next thing I know two police cars went racing down the street.  I fired up my police scanner app on my phone and thanks to the two minute delay I heard the call.  A neighbor that I don’t know tried to commit suicide.  The police have been out to his house several times last year and this year, so I was familiar with the person.  Two ambulances and a fire engine followed.  He cut one of his wrists and they applied a tourniquet.  He was unconscious but breathing.  The second ambulance and fire engine were for additional man power.  I’m guessing the guy weighed a lot or it was difficult to get him out of the space he was in.  They got him transported quickly.  I fired up my scanner in hopes that I could hear the transport call from the ambulance to the hospital to know more about his condition but wouldn’t you know it I got a low battery alarm.  I had to turn it off or risk it wiping out all of the programming.  So I know nothing. 

It was sad to hear the call and while I know the guy had struggled with alcohol I don’t know what was troubling him and why he thought that was his only way out.  I know my struggles and how I have felt.  I know that I have been pretty low, the lowest much to my surprise was after Gator passed and I was totally all alone.  I know that depression has some serious bad effects and while a lot of people get out of it’s grips, others aren’t so lucky. 

A short while later I got an email from a colleague at work.  He put in his resignation and he thought I was already aware.  That stuff stays pretty quiet until it’s a certain that the person is leaving.  In some cases they try to make counteroffers and in other cases it’s just a delay in processing.  This guy is part of a small family of people that I was lucky enough to be included in.  The family has split with two people leaving last month, now this person leaving.  There is one guy left and I know for a fact life is really good for him and he’s not going anywhere at the moment.  It’s just sad to see the family split like this but at the same time I get it.  You have to look out for your best interest and the well being of not only yourself but your family, no one will do that job for you.  Thing have changed a lot from the 10 years ago when I walked in the door.  I too want to leave but I’ve had my fill of working for a living and I am way too young to retire.  So, I just take it one day at a time and try to breathe through it. 

Not exactly the best evening of the week but life goes on.  Got one meeting today at work and I have to call the guy that is leaving to talk about some work stuff.  Pretty much a light day but there are scheduled tasks that I still have to take care of and one of those will be late in the afternoon.  At least I will have the weekend free and clear since I am not on-call. 

The cats got into an early morning fight and woke me up.  I never got out of bed just yelled from bed and then I heard Mora growling.  Normal sibling rivalry.  When it was time for me to get up, they had made up.  They don’t stay mad at each other long.  No doubt this was all Rudy’s fault because he wants to play a lot and Mora isn’t always in the mood or if she is he pushes her and then a fight breaks out.  Luckily they haven’t damaged anything or done damage to each other thus far.  It bothers me a lot when they fight but I remember what it was like to be young.  I pray they don’t injure each other. 

In reviewing my daily photo memories I saw a video of Gator and one of her siblings.  I elected to watch it.  We were all talking to each other by meowing.  We carried on a conversation and that got Rudy & Mora all worked up.  Sure do miss my original cat family. 

Here’s hoping for a great weekend!  Take care. 

No comments: