I practice what I preach here. Data loss is a killer and there is much anguish once you realize you didn’t back up and the data is gone. Remember I said last night I was having computer problems. Well turns out the external hard drive that holds my archived porn collection decided to give up the ghost and died at 8:30p. That’s the last record my backup software has of it sending files.
I went through the same thing 2 years ago and bought a new hard drive. Well I didn’t think or plan to be buying a new drive this year but looks like that’s the case. This is quite the expensive venture.
The data is backed up in the cloud (aka off site) and since it’s so large I have to request that it be sent on a hard drive. I pay the cost for that but once I’m done I can send the drive back and get my money back. Then I have to buy a replacement drive to restore all of the data on to.
I worked this afternoon trying a different computer and a couple different programs to see if I could breath any life back into the drive but sadly it’s a goner. I hate that it came to this but all hard drive die eventually and I had a couple issues with this drive. I should have canned it the first time I had an issue but I held out faith that it would last, silly me.
I won’t buy a new drive until tomorrow when I am at work so that it’s delivered on Wednesday when I am home. As for my back up provider they take their sweet ass time with the restore request so it will likely be weeks before the drive surfaces. I have to be home to sign for it, that way we can be sure that my data doesn’t fall into the wrong hands. It is sent encrypted and the key is only available on-line, so even if the data falls into the wrong hands it’s useless.
Sex sells and damn this is kind of an expensive venture hanging on to all of this stuff. There’s a lot of money that I spent getting all of the files and I cherish them since there is hours upon hours of enjoyment!
Got in a nice nap this morning. Both cats climbed into bed with me. They each curled up under an arm and that’s never happened before. I guess they knew how stressed I was.
Just waiting for the clock to tick away the business day so that I can make a bunch of changes at work. Lots of people getting new titles and moving around. There is enough work to keep me busy for an hour but I hope to be done before then. I look forward to some good food, whatever it is I manage to pull out of the freezer!
Here’s hoping your day was better than mine. Take care!
No comments:
Post a Comment