21 September 2024

Dead Neighbor

Last night I was listening to the scanner as I do on any given night.  Sometimes I tune it out and other times I get tired of trying to concentrate between hearing TV Audio and the scanner.  They tend to overlap. 

I heard a page for the fire department for a neighbor several houses down from mine.  It was a 70ish year old guy who was barely breathing.  Since I was listening to the radio through an app on my phone, the audio is 2 minutes delayed.  It was 2 minutes later I heard an update from dispatch that the guy stopped breathing.  It took the fire department 6 minutes to respond, which I think is horrible considering it was a Friday evening in the 8p hour and traffic isn’t knowing for being heavy at that time.  The police were dispatched and they arrived in under a minute with no lights or siren.  Meanwhile the fire department had 2 ambulances roll in then several minutes later 2 fire trucks.  Based on timing the guy was down for around 6 minutes total and I knew in my heart he was dead.  It would be several minutes later before I heard the call for the corner.  I felt horrible for the family of the guy.  I get that he was older but damn I think he deserved a better response time, especially once he stopped breathing. 

Earlier this summer a neighbor tried to commit suicide and he cut himself.  The police arrived in less than 2 minutes, they made sure everything was safe and told the fire department to come on in.  That guy was a bit younger but he got a better response time than the older guy who wasn’t breathing. 

That makes me wonder do they take their time when your up there in age and only dash to calls with younger people?  If that’s the case I’m kind of in trouble. 

Granted I am just an outsider and there could have been other factors in play that affected response time.  I also don’t know if chest compressions were in progress or not, that would certainly factor in to the ability to bounce back to life.  Just thinking about the whole thing kind of put a bad taste in my mouth. 

I am fairly certain our police department has AED’s in their squad cars because they can get to people a lot quicker than the fire department mainly because the police are already on the street and likely have a squad car closer to the callers home.  I don’t know why they didn’t come blazing but if I was that guys family I would be asking a lot of questions. 

Of course I had insomnia because of this and that wrecked my early am as well as my day.  I wanted to do some other things that I just didn’t have the energy to take care of.  I went for my haircut and then came back home.  I napped a little bit but that was difficult.  Rudy kept waking me up making biscuits.  It took me a while but I figured out he was hungry.  He kind of becomes a huge pest until you get him some food.  The more you dismiss him the more he comes back. 

I went out for pizza to the place where the cute waiters are.  Only problem is none of them were there.  The pizza was still good.  Stopped for cat food on the way home and that’s been my day. 

Working on laundry, bills and I figured out last night that I made a mistake with an email at work that I sent.  That’s been bugging me so I was able to recall the message and then send a fresh email fixing my mistake.  I was trained to be super detail oriented and that I am, I hate to make a mistake but know that I am only human and it’s going to happen.  The key is not making them over and over again, but based on how my colleague is treated I don’t think it would make a whole lot of difference.  I strive for accuracy and excellence in everything that I do for work, which is why I get upset when my co-worker continues to make the same mistakes over and over. 

I need a good nights sleep to reset things and then I think I will be okay.  Here’s hoping that tonight is better than last night. 

No comments: