05 August 2022

That little voice

Last night as I was going through my routine for bed, I saw Gator trying to get off the couch.  She was on her steps and managed to fall off.  It’s a short distance and she landed on a carpeted floor.  It didn’t seem to phase her.  It bothered me.  It looked like her back legs were what failed her.  Poor gait is a sign of dehydration.  You know that little voice that lives in side of you?  Well mine said you better give her fluids or you might not have her tomorrow. 

I gave her a full dose of fluids much to her dismay.  She was not pleased.  At least I did it right this time so they all stayed in and nothing leaked back out.  We spent some time together and she of course got more food.  I was up overnight, I think it was my bladder that woke me but she took advantage of it and I got her some food.  We also spent a little more time together in my chair, she got to sleep a little bit with me.  I had problems falling back to sleep but once I got tired I got her back to the floor and I climbed back in bed. 

This morning I woke up and there was quite a large deposit in the litter box.  She has to feel much better.  She was camped out by the water fountain and I managed to wake her up just by walking into the kitchen.  She was pleased to see me and looking forward to food.  I got her some breakfast and then I had mine.  She gobbled down 1/2 of the can pretty quickly and then made her way to the couch to climb in her bed and wait for me.  I finished my breakfast and then permitted her to eat the remainder of the food from the comfort of her bed. 

I came down to work and after a couple hours she started hollering for food.  I dropped what I was doing and got her taken care of.  She gobbled down a little bit of food and then made her way to her bed in my room.  I followed her in and put the plate of food close to the bed so if she woke up hungry, she wouldn’t have to go very far for the food. 

To me it seems like she is dehydrating much faster, unless it was just that the fluid I gave her on Sunday managed to all leak out and she was just struggling.  I will be paying close attention to her over the next few days.  The pessimist in me is fearful that we have taken a step in the wrong direction and she is closer to the end.  I am worried and scared, it a place I have been before.  Being alone actually makes it worse.  Idle time permits my mind to wonder off and worry.  I am glad that I found the articles earlier in the week that said to treat the cat and not the numbers that is very helpful advice.  I am NEVER going to be ready to part ways with her but I do know that it in my future but I hope it is a ways out.  I don’t want it to happen close to a holiday or my birthday but then again I’m not really in full control which is part of what bothers me. 

All I can do right now is hope for the best, wait and see what happens.  I do think that she is feeling better today than she was last night.  Camping out at the fountain is never something I have been a fan of as I’ve mentioned in past posts.  I only want the absolute best for her.  Unless there is some miracle change in her condition I will probably stick close to home this weekend.  I’d really like to make it in to the office next week but if she isn’t doing well, family comes first.  I know that she is comforted by my presence and the fact that she can just bellow out and I come running is something she has gotten quite used to.  If COVID would have never happened I don’t know that she would have that luxury or that I would have the luxury of being able to work from home for long periods of time. 

Fingers crossed that this is just a minor bump in the road and we can overcome it.  Not much else to talk about at the moment.  Hope that you have a nice weekend!

No comments: