11 September 2026

SOME KIND OF LUCK

I wound up going back to work on Thursday. I was up at 4am and couldn’t go back to sleep despite trying. By 6am I gave up and said I’m feeding the cats and going back to bed. I got connected to work and saw my inbox continuing to overflow it was close to 800 emails just in my inbox alone, that’s not counting what was filtered to folders. Then my gut kicked in and said you need to go back today; something is going to happen. It was one of those eerie kinds of feelings. I knew that if I went against it I’d probably be sorry. So, I wolfed down breakfast, threw on some clothes, grabbed my water bottle and headed downstairs.

The cats missed me and made some noise; I came up for bathroom breaks and to pass out lunch. I took an abbreviated lunch and returned to the basement in the afternoon. I was down there all day long. I don’t exactly know where or how I was able to motivate myself because I was exhausted from not sleeping much. I got caught up and managed to accomplish way more than I thought I would. It felt good to have an empty inbox. Talked with the mistake maker and we caught up a little bit.

I thought exhaustion would help fuel a great night’s sleep but sadly I was wrong. I woke up at 2a this morning and managed to get back to sleep by 4a. I woke up again exhausted and really wanted to take the day off but pressed on.

While the day is almost done, I am not quite off the hook just yet. My boss dogged me a little bit yesterday because I chimed in to help on something and that just resulted in him dumping more work on me. I should just keep quiet instead of being helpful. He’s been after me to train the new guy on our Firewalls and I have just put it off. Today I got a written request, and he asked me to invite him to the meeting. He wanted it to be set early next week, so I purposely made it towards the end of the week. I really don’t want to do it but suppose that I can’t put it off forever. It’s pointless to teach him because he won’t even have an account to login to them and my boss takes his sweet time before he gives access to the Firewalls you can wait as long as 2 years. I got my access after 6 months, but I had to go through a formal training course. He wanted to send the mistake maker to the same training but never did and finally after 2 years he just gave him access.

In other news last night, I saw that there was a firmware update for my home router, so I applied it. I had no idea that it would take away remote access to the router. That’s better from a security standpoint because you must physically be here and/or connected to one of the machines in the house and have the credentials to log in. It’s kind of a pain because I had an app on my phone that ceased to function after the update. I could monitor signal strength of WIFI devices, see what/who was connected and reboot the router without being logged on to a computer. Plus, the app would send me alerts if there was a problem or loss of connectivity and it didn’t matter if I was home or not. I did some research and found that my model of router wasn’t on the list to have this service deprecated but again from a security perspective it is much more secure and better.

Today was the day to set the trash out. With the Labor Day holiday trash pickup is pushed back one day. At least it was supposed to be. I waited until the afternoon and got it ready and got it set out. It wasn’t but 15 minutes later and a trash truck showed up, emptied the container and kept on moving. I’ve never had that kind of luck. Perhaps it was just good timing on my part or perhaps it is a sign that something good is going to happen. Hey I can hold out hope, there is no charge for that.

Still watching Roseanne on Peacock and peppering in some YouTube Videos to spice things up a little bit. Food wise I finished the pizza last night and am glad that it’s gone. I’ve got Spaghetti to heat up for supper and kind of looking forward to it. Then there is the left-over Chocolate Cake. Part of me wants it tonight for desert and the other part of me wants to have it for breakfast.

My calendar is clear and outside of feeding the cats I can sleep in and be lazy tomorrow if I want. I like having flexibility and not having looming tasks or deadlines. I’ve got laundry to do, some porn surfing to catch up on, need to grab the mail and get a bite to eat in the afternoon. Not sure where I am going to go. I had it all worked out on Monday, but I’ve slept since then and my taste changes. Thinking of Mexican food but not exactly sure where I am going to go for it. That pretty much takes care of Saturday. Sunday is the usual breakfast out, grocery shopping, cleaning the house and grabbing a bite to eat in the afternoon. Cracker Barrel sounds pretty good but I will have to travel a little bit since I won’t visit the one that is closest to me. That’s due to the gay waiter there that was interested in me. He led me on for the longest time. Seeing him would just bring back memories and stir up hope again. I know he’s a lost cause and for that reason I avoid seeing him at all costs. However, I am always on the look out for a hot guy to hit on, my only problem is they all seem to be straight just like Spaghetti before it gets all hot and wet.

Hope that all is well in your world. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: