26 December 2022

Expensive Day

I woke up at 5a with a neck and back of headache.  My mattress topper moved and my pillows were in an odd position so thus was my head and why it hurt.  I watched a movie on Netflix called ME TIME with Kevin Hart & Mark Wahlberg.  It was a different way to start out the day and also at a very early hour.  It was great though. 

After the movie I got dressed and headed out for breakfast.  I got the cute waiter and asked him if he was still interested and ever going to call.  He assured me that he was but I really don’t think it will happen.  I hope I am wrong. 

I went to a local auto shop to have my battery checked out, very happy that I found them open.  Turns out the battery was shot with only 25% life left.  It would have been 2 years old later next month.  I could have gone back to the dealer but last time I filed a warranty claim on a battery they had my vehicle tied up for 3 days.  It would have been cheaper but I was all about fast.  I paid for the replacement this time out of my pocket.  $375.  Turns out it’s a gel battery.  My not driving much actually hurts the battery life because even though the auto is off there are still components that are running in the background and drawing juice.  They said that the voltage regulator & alternator were both fine.  It took them a couple hours to replace the battery. 

After that I grabbed a haircut & a shampoo.  Then hit up the grocery store.  Came home, put all of the groceries away and drove for a pizza.  Boy that was a huge mistake.  Only one waitress working and the place was packed.  It took me an hour just to get my pizza and then after I was done about another 30 minutes for the check.  I was hoping to see the other cute waiter who’s straight. 

Drove home when I was done.  Worked on laundry and I am really on the fence about going into the office tomorrow.  I really don’t want to but something deep inside is saying you need to go.  It will depend on how well I sleep and how I feel in the morning.  I’m planning on the trip in, so I’ve got to get ready here soon. 

I’m running behind schedule because I got caught up in the whole LastPass debacle.  In case you don’t know LastPass provides a password vault where you can store all sorts of passwords other credentials and information.  They got seriously hacked and this was the 2nd hack of the year.  Turns out a malicious actor made off with backup copies of peoples password vaults.  They could brute force the master password and if they gain access then they will have access to all of the data inside the vault.  From the research I’ve done the best suggestions were to not only change your master password but also all of the account passwords that were housed in your vault.  This is your best defense.  I got hung up on changing all of the account passwords that really mattered to me like financial accounts.  I’ve got 2FA (Two Factor Authentication) enabled on damn near everything but where there is a will there is a way and nothing is totally hacker proof.  The idea is to use long and strong passwords which makes it impossible to brute force.  Some of my accounts have had the same password for years because I was so reliant on 2FA, yeah I know it’s wrong.  However, most people don’t change their passwords that often I mean it’s a huge pain.  Every site is different with where you click, the requirements for the passwords and so on.  Thank God that is done. 

Christmas was an okay day.  I went to my friends house, fully expecting a gift or at least a take home plate.  I got neither.  I did get a good meal and met their pastors kid who was a hunk!  He had a beard which I didn’t like I am not into facial hair.  He had a pony tail but his hair was all up in a knot so it was neater looking.  Not much for long hair but it does look good on some guys, plus it can give you something to hold on to.  I didn’t make a pass at him but I did stare at his ass a lot.  They left and then it was just the original gang, we spent an hour together.  Then I hung around for a little bit longer and well I knew it was getting late so I headed home about 10p.  We didn’t start the meal until 6:30p. 

I was surprised to hear that my friends are going back to their New Year’s tradition of an open house.  There will be brunch from 10a until 4p.  I was told come if you want to.  I just might do that.  I’ve got some work to do on the 1st.  Plus like this week we will get Monday the 2nd off in observance of New Years.  So I will have an entire extra day to myself. 

As I headed home I saw it snowing.  There is a long story about snow and my late spouse.  The short version is it’s a sign that things are going to be okay.  It kind of felt like he was sending me a sign that things will all be okay.  Despite still being depressed and super lonely.  I think part of me is ready to move on and go pick out my next 4 legged friend or friends.  I don’t want more than 2.  The other part of me says take your time and don’t go rushing into anything.  Your free now and can do what you want.  However, I still miss the cry/whine of Gator which kept me on a schedule and routine.  That gives me structure and balance which is exactly what I need.  It’s not saying that another cat would do that but I would certainly want to be upstairs more than I am right now.

Well it’s getting later, I’ve not eaten supper and want to grab something.  I really don’t want to wake up in the middle of the night with low sugar.  Plus I need to make the bed and put away the laundry that has been sitting in the basket for 2 days. 

As my good fortune continues (not) I managed to cut part of my ear lobe yesterday when I was shaving.  It was fresh razor and I did some pretty good damage.  No one said anything but it is starting to itch pretty bad.  I hope my luck changes.  As for that so called bonus were supposed to get I hope there is enough there after taxes to pay off the battery I had to buy.  It’s got a 5 year warranty so I should be in good shape. 

Hope you had a great Christmas that you are staying warm and doing well.  There is a lot of crud going around from COVID, The Flu and RSV that alone makes me want to stay home and away from people but thus far I am still healthy.  I hope that continues as I don’t want to start this year like last where I get COVID and have to sit out the first couple months.  With no Gator I’m not sure I would recover as well as I did.  Cheers for now. 

No comments: