17 December 2025

Today’s adventures

I started off by getting up at normal time, making breakfast for myself as well as feeding the cats.  I got dressed and watched the morning news.  The cats seemed to enjoy me hanging out in my room instead of what I would do on a normal week day, which is head downstairs and start to work. 

I had some sugary items for breakfast and knew that would wear off and cause me to take a nap.  I used the temporary energy boost to take out the trash and clean the litter boxes.  Things I should have done last night. 

Nap time came and I’m not actually sure that I ever fell asleep but I did close my eyes.  An hour later I got up, shaved, showered and got dressed to go out. 

Felt like a Spring day in the upper 50’s here today, kind of refreshing.  I made my Sam’s run, where Murphy (aka bad luck) continued to follow me.  I picked up Water Softener Salt and didn’t realize it until I was loading the bags in the car that one of them was open at the top a little bit.  Some salt spilled but no big deal it was easy cleanup.  I bought 2 cases of soda and when I went to load them into the car one of them was wet on the top.  Thankfully when I got home I wiped up the dampness and both cases appeared to be intact, hopefully I don’t have a slow leak.  Then came the Brownie Adventure, I wanted brownies but Sam’s Club only sells things in bulk.  I got $20 worth of brownies enough to feed a medium size office.  There is no way I can finish the whole tray by myself before they go stale.  I divided them up in small batches and filled 5 gallon size freezer bags.  I saved a few to consume now and wow they are rich but good.  Doesn’t sound too bad.  Well the big problem came when I went to self-check out the card reader refused to read my membership card.  I tried two different readers before I gave up.  I did try to scan my card but that didn’t work.  I had to go to Member Services.  They got me a temp card to scan but they were out of physical cards and of course my card worked fine for them when they swiped it.  I went back to a lane and tried it again and it still didn’t work.  I scanned the printed temp card and it worked fine. 

After I made it home to unload I took a break and watched some TV with the cats.  Eventually I got up and ventured back out to the pet store where I adopted them from.  I went food shopping and the one thing I wanted that they like Duck, I got the last can they had.  Not a total loss but I wasn’t happy.  Stopped by to look at cats for adoption.  They had a mom and her kids that were abandoned.  They were all sleeping and looked so cute.  Took me back to the days of Momma and her family.  I was hoping to run into the lady that I got Rudy & Mora from but no such luck. 

Stopped by a local spots bar for a bite to eat.  I was hoping to see a straight waiter that I have a crush on and had previously asked out but no such luck.  I had a decent meal and moved on. 

I believe I have decided on what model of vehicle I am after.  Found one that I really want and it was tough not to make a move.  Hey I still have time off and were not at the end of the year just yet.  I’ve got an angel on one shoulder saying don’t do it, save your money and keep what you have.  I’ve got the devil on the other shoulder that says it’s a steal you should make a move.  Why I am conflicted?  Well when it comes to large purchases like a car I always, always think I’m going to lose my job if I make the purchase.  Then I’d be stuck with a car to figure out how to pay for as well as finding another job.  The reality of it is that I am probably fine.  What I have works, runs well and is paid for.  I have been saving my car payment and I love to watch my bank account continue to grow as well as the monthly interest I earn.  Unless I simply can’t resist or I get bad news on Friday when I go in for maintenance work, I really don’t think I will make a move now but it is rather tempting, especially after crunching numbers last night. 

I did get my new security cameras for the inside of my home setup.  It was super easy and quick.  They were only $20 each and from a well known brand name.  I bought based on the name and a prior purchase.  Plus the fact they have a privacy mode so when you turn that on the camera faces down so nothing can be seen.  I have no cloud storage with them and I am not storing anything locally.  I bought them to spy on the cats.  I needed to replace the camera that went belly up in my bedroom.  I got the second one for the kitchen because I know that Rudy is climbing on the table or counter and I want to bust him in the act.  He only does it when he knows I am downstairs during a normal work day.  I hear his feet hit the floor and I know what he’s up to.  I’m not surprised he loves to get into mischief, it’s like trouble is his middle name.  The only thing that would really surprise me is if it wasn’t him and it was his sister but she doesn’t impress me as the type to jump on the table or counter.  I’ve caught Rudy before on the counter, besides that he’s lighter and loves to jump. 

I’m currently thawing a college size fridge that I bought years ago.  It decided to turn into a freezer years ago.  I lost a bunch of soda back when Gator was still with me.  We both heard an explosion in the middle of the night.  She stayed in my room and let me figure out what it was.  The fridge froze all of the soda and they cans were exploding so much that it caused the door to fly open.  I’ve kept it running for years empty and decided tonight that it’s time to pull the plug.  I’m thawing out the ice block that is in it, going to clean up the mess in a couple days when it’s all water and no more ice.  Then let it dry and thinking of using it for storage but I”m never plugging it back in.  I should get rid of it and replace it but honestly that it is just me having a fridge dedicated just to beverages isn’t practical.  I’ve got another one of the same units in the basement and it works just fine I keep a few drinks in it so in a pinch if I want something it’s there.  I also have extra room if I run out of space upstairs which has only happened one time in the years that I have been alone.  Both of the cats want to investigate and I have to cat proof it before I can go to bed otherwise I know that Rudy is the one to likely get stuck inside of it and waking up to find him stuck isn’t my idea of a good time. 

I’ve already checked on email at work and things are really out of control and my counterpart has to be losing his mind.  That makes me happy inside and puts a smile on my face.  Of course he will probably put in for vacation time early next year just to recover from me being out for 2 full weeks.  I’ve get more time off than he does because I have been there way longer and eventually in a few more years I will get even more time.  He’s certainly getting a taste of what I had to go through while he was out earlier this year on paternity leave. 

Rain is in the forecast for tomorrow and unless I really need to, I plan to stay home.  I’ve got plenty of cleaning and other tasks that I need to tend to.  I need to start my backup that’s going to take a full week to complete and I’d like to get it out of the way while I have time. 

I’m proud of my use of my time thus far and hope that I can complete or at least make a dent in everything I have on my to do list.  Some tasks I don’t look forward to and am dragging my feet on.  However, there is still plenty of time on my side for now. 

Off to find some TV to enjoy and loaf until I decided it’s time to call it a day.  Hope that your staying warm and doing well.  Thanks for stopping by. 

No comments: