28 October 2025

Close Call

Morning …

Yesterday morning I got an email from my boss saying that he was unable to reach me via my office phone, he asked me to check that my call forwarding was setup correctly.  I already knew that it was, it’s turned on and doesn’t turn off unless I am taking a day off or call in sick.  I tested it and it worked for me.  I had a feeling right away that it was the spam filter that Visible (aka Verizon) provides.  For some reason a lot of our office numbers are tagged as spam.  I checked the log via the app but it hadn’t updated yet. 

Meanwhile I needed to interact with my boss and he wound up opening a ticket.  He also called a manager that works in my office to check to see if their phone was working.  He thought it might be an office outage.  I figured that my goose was probably cooked because the manager he called is a gossip and in my head I was convinced that this person would say oh he never comes in.  However, I believe I am safe as nothing came of our conversation.  I had an additional conversation with him in the afternoon and he never said anything then. 

To troubleshoot the phone issue I engaged one of our network folks and I was told that it’s probably your spam filter on your cell phone after taking a look at the phone system.  By then the log had updated on the App and I saw he tried like 15 times to call me, all were rejected as spam.  The fix for this was to turn off the spam filter.  I really didn’t want to do that but I like having two lines of cell service to determine if calls are coming in via my regular cell phone number or are forwarded from my work number.  It’s proven to be helpful in the past and it’s nice to have a heads up when the phone rings. 

I did report my bosses work number as not as spam to Visible but they just say thanks.  It doesn’t mean we will treat future calls different just because you flagged it not as spam.  Visible uses a different system for this prepaid service than traditional Verizon or even ATT which will permit you to flag a number not as spam and then that permits the call to ring through if they call in the future. 

If I get flooded with spam calls on my Visible line I can always turn the protection back on and adjust the level of protection.  It was set to very aggressive with no tolerance at all for spam calls and I rejected all spam calls instead of sending them to voicemail. 

Today is going to be interesting.  The old guy that we work with is on vacation.  The mistake maker took the day off because of a sick child.  That leaves me and the boss.  I’ve got some training to attend later this afternoon and it’s not like I can miss this, it’s 2 hours long and I don’t look forward to it but I am going.  Thankfully it’s virtual so I don’t have to leave the comfort of my home.  The mistake maker always conveniently takes one or two sick days in a week or two weeks following when I call in sick.  I thought it was strange at first but now I realize he does it to pour the pressure on me, it’s usually times when we are short on staffing or when I am on call or both.  The boss doesn’t see it and I’m not calling it out.  I just hate that he does it but then again I hate the fact that he can’t fully do simple tasks that I preform without me having to watch over his shoulder.  There is no point in complaining because our boss is spineless and won’t do anything about it, unless of course pressure is applied to him via his boss or HR and well I’m not going that route, there is way too much for me to lose. 

In other news I heard this morning that this weekend is time change weekend and we will gain an extra hour of sleep.  I look forward to that but know that I will probably be awake.  It will take my body time to readjust plus the cats internal clocks will be off for a couple days.  Rudy will be waking me an hour before it’s time to get up. 

Best news is that Rudy used the Treadmill last night.  I went to spy on him because I heard him while I was brushing my teeth.  He’s shy about it like when he’s in the tub.  If he sees me spying on him he just aborts and stands and looks at me like I just asked him for a ride to the airport.  We got in a little bit of playtime like 2 minutes before he just shutdown on me and was no longer interested.  Mora didn’t want to play either.  It’s kind of like playtime has run it’s course but I will keep trying.  Usually he wants to play when I want to relax like after lunch or when I am busy like after breakfast or while I am eating my supper.  He gets it out of his system either by playing on his own or aggravating his sister.  They are both something else but I am so glad that I have them. 

I signed the sappy card for my brother and got it ready to mail.  By the time I put postage on it and what I paid for the card I’ve dropped close to $10 just to say Happy Birthday.  Plus I’m sure he’s going to toss the card in the garbage and not keep it, like I would.  Kind of a bit on the expensive side when I think about it.  Might have just been better off to send a text or just to write happy birthday on a sheet of paper and mail that to him.  I am hoping that he will reach out to me but I am not holding my breath as I am fairly certain the end result will be no contact or acknowledgement from him.  I am always the bigger person but it doesn’t get me anywhere and if it does I am usually the one who gets hurt or crapped on, neither of which I enjoy.

When I thought about posting yesterday for today I had so much lined up to say but now it’s all gone.  If I think of something I missed I will make another post.  Otherwise, that’s all for today.  Hope it’s a great day for all of us.  Thank you for stopping by!

2 comments:

RB said...

I'm shocked at what greeting cards cost now. They used to be like $1.99 -- now most are $5.99. Maybe I'll make handmade cards going forward

Jeremy Ryan said...

Yeah I remember back in the day I used Print Shop & a dot matrix printer to make my own cards. That was fun but everything was black & white. Card making has evolved and people have fancy paper and machines to make all sorts of things. It looks like fun but also time consuming. I don't send many cards but each time I do I am taken back at the cost.