We have a shelter in place order and when that came down it caused panic in me and I am sure a lot of other people. Then I learned exactly what it means and I am fine. The one thing everyone was told NOT to do is the one thing that most people are doing. The one thing was not to panic and start buying groceries and other items as if they were going to be confined to their homes for months on end. Unfortunately, that seems to me the one thing that people are doing.
It was around 11:30a when I opted to head out. It did feel a bit strange but I pressed on. I grabbed the mail and there wasn’t anything to get excited over. Then I hit up the office supply store. Yeah, I got that keyboard. There is more on that below. They are sold out of chairs and monitors and I learned that people were taking the displays. They didn’t have a wide selection of keyboards in stock and I honestly hesitate to touch one but figured what the hell, how do you know if you will like it if you don’t type on it. From there I stopped into the pet food store. The grooming salon is closed. I suppose that is because people work in close proximity to each other and they didn’t want to take any risks. The rest of the store including the vet was open. The vet staff are wearing masks, which looks strange. I got all of the normal cat food. A worker asked me if she could help me, I said no and then mumbled under my breath, yeah you could help me if you knew exactly what my cats would eat but no one in this store has that classified information.
My plan was to hit up the grocery store next but I saw the line at the Wal-Mart super center and you had to scramble to find a parking spot. It was like Christmas time but much worse. I figured if they were like that then our 2 stand alone grocery stores would surely be the same and the last thing I wanted to do is get into a crowd. I mean I can hold my own but I really don’t like crowds in general. So instead I hit up Taco Bell and was able to get thru the drive up with ease. Most fast food places had lines but things seemed to be moving at a fairly rapid pace. Then I came home to enjoy my food while Gator stared at me and meowed most the time while I was eating until she eventually gave in and started eating what I put out for breakfast.
We spent the bulk of the day in my room. I got in naps and even went back to bed this morning after I fed them. During the night Gator decided to kick up a fuss and woke me up. I fixed her when she left the room, I closed the door and turned up the white noise machine. Man, I slept pretty well. I hated to close the door because that punished Marv but time away was much needed. Were all still buddies and get along okay. They (the cats) are going to love this daddy working from home stuff.
Got an emergency call from work that informed me that soon a shelter in place order would be in effect for the state the office is in and that we should only go into the office in the event of something that was urgent and couldn’t be addressed from home. They want everyone to continue working from home. Yeah and I think were all going to be doing that for 3 months minimum but that is my guess and I have nothing concrete. I don’t think that anyone wants to be the first to go back to work and then find out that the virus has spread only to tell everyone to go back home. So, I think employers and people in general will be extra cautious until we know that this thing is more under control and maybe a vaccine has been developed or some better medicine to treat it.
I was shocked to hear that Kenny Rogers passed away. I am not a country music fan but he did write some great tunes and had an amazing voice both talking and singing. I watched a documentary about him with Dan Rather on AXS last year. At least he passed from natural causes and not this virus that is going around.
My plan for the rest of the day is to stay at home and make the best of the situation. I have plenty to get done but I don’t have a lot of motivation to start moving, so I am just enjoying being lazy. I’m sure that next week will be hellish and keep us all busy. So might as well relax and enjoy now. The thing that I do the most often is put the phone in do not disturb mode. That way I can sleep or do what ever in peace. People or phone calls that I deem important will still ring through. Everyone else gets voice mail. It’s not as if my phone rings off the hook anyway. I absolutely hate being a slave to the phone when I am on-call or working. That little ding for email or a chirp for an alert drives me crazy, but it’s necessary to stay in the loop.
Tomorrow morning, I will venture out for groceries, I plan on getting out early hopefully before a large crowd has a chance to raid the restocking efforts that take place in off hours. This way maybe I will be able to get milk and other things that seem to be in demand. There is just me and I’m not looking to hoard but I want to be comfortable and take care of myself. Then I shall return to my home for the remainder of the day where I will do some cleaning and perhaps bake a pizza.
Now about the keyboard… It is a little confusing to figure out where some keys are like print screen isn’t just 1 key it’s a combination of the FN key and then the insert key. I actually use print screen a lot. I’ve got this program called Snag-It that does screen captures. I use it at home and work. For home it’s great to capture confirmation numbers that appear on screen, a handsome fellow or settings from a program. At work I use it mostly for documentation or to capture settings. I learned of the program many jobs ago and have used it ever since. It’s like the snipping tool in Windows but it does so much more. There is plenty of power packed in there but I only use a fraction of it. Setting up Logitech Options Software was a little time consuming. Plus, they want you to register for an account so they can take backups of your keyboard & mouse settings. That’s nice but I tend not to customize. I looked for a manual or guide and wow that is nonexistent. Thankfully with some google searches I was able to learn about the print screen key. Right now, I plan to keep it and add it to the family of keyboards that I have. It came with a mouse that I am also using it’s okay but I was happy with what I had. It is fairly similar to what I was using. The truest test will come when it’s time to go back to work on Monday unless this becomes difficult to type on all day that is the only reason why I would even consider returning it.
Well I am off to update my financials from the few transactions of the day. To check on something at work and then to surf for some porn and eventually I will head backup stairs to watch something. The most amazing thought I just had is that with so many people on the Information Super Highway aka The Internet isn’t it amazing that we haven’t had a collision yet. I know that many networks (service providers for conferencing, meeting, etc.) are heavily stressed but you can still get on social media and streaming services without a problem. Thank God for the Internet or we would all be much worse right now. Imagine if this all hit back in the day before the internet really took off, man things would be messed up for sure.
Take care and be well. I will talk with you again most likely tomorrow after my grocery shopping adventure. Here’s hoping that this week is better than what it was last week. Thanks for stopping by.
No comments:
Post a Comment