20 April 2013

Catching Up

Sorry it’s been a while, life has been busy for me and I am still very much exhausted.


I have seen an attorney who agreed to represent me.  He told me that everything was quite well in order and that I pretty much had nothing to worry about, with the exception of how my partners bankruptcy case plays out. 

I talked to the Bankruptcy Attorney and they said that the case would be dissolved because of his death.  That means that his creditors would have rights to come after the estate with any claims.  My understanding is that the house was and is not part of the estate because it’s in a trust.  I further believe that it is in my best interest to get the house transferred into my name as quickly as possible to protect my interest.  However, sometimes with name changes the bank views that as a sale and they would call the loan, meaning that I would have to pay the house off immediately.  If I didn’t qualify for financing then I would have a HUGE problem.

Right now I’ve sent communications to both attorneys and am waiting to see what they respond with.  I do have the option to continue making payments on his bankruptcy until we reach a figure that would take about 30 plus months and then it could be discharged under a hardship.  Meaning the creditors would be screwed.  However, I feel that this was his debt and I am in no way shape or form responsible for it.  The same is true with medical bills.  As the executor of his estate I have a responsibility to ensure that his bills are paid, but the estate has no money.  The estate can get money if I sell his possessions and then if creditors made claims I could negotiate with them or at least have a small amount of money to maybe pay one of them off. 

The money that was in the joint bank account is all mine, it doesn’t belong to the estate or anyone else.  There is enough right now to make the next mortgage payment.  Then in a couple weeks I will go tell the bank he is dead, at which time they will want to convert the account into a monthly fee based account and I will wind up closing it.  I hate to do that because the bank is just across the street.  My bank is about 20 minutes away and I hate driving there. 

I got the estimate of charges for his helicopter ride it was a 7 minute flight that cost $24,568.  They wanted me to sign paperwork that would make me legally responsible for his death.  I called the company and explained to them that I had power of attorney but that expired when he did, so legally I can’t sign anything.  They told me not to worry about it, that they have contractual relationships with his insurance and that the paper work was not needed.  Okay, good luck trying to collect from a dead person.  If he did have money like that he wouldn’t have ever been in bankruptcy.

The death certificates were available on Thursday.  I got them and all of the paperwork in the mail for the life insurance and people that needed them to write off debts.  I sure hope that pay out is quick because money will soon be an issue.

Closing out someone’s life is not easy.  Every one wants their fair share of the pie, never mind that the person is dead.  I am doing better than I thought with the actual loss, it’s the financial aspect that has me in a tizzy.  My hope is that in the coming weeks the dust will settle and I will know that I am going to be okay, at least for the foreseeable future.  Life Insurance will help with mortgage payments and other bills that I hadn’t planned for.  So I can exist w/o any problems.  I just hope I am right on that.



Like I said I am dealing with the loss part better than I expected.  I really would like to cry again to help aid in the release process.  I have so much tension and stress from dealing with multiple people, places and things as well as trying to work and survive. 

The cats still look for him (my partner) and cry at his door, which is closed.  They are all slowly realizing that he isn’t coming back and they are stuck with me.  They really liked the nice surprise I had for them on Thursday when I came home to feed them lunch.  Extra food is the sure fire way to their hearts.  Everyone is eating and doing okay for the moment. 

I am leaving on Monday and don’t estimate I will be back until Friday afternoon.  I am going to try to finish early but I honestly think this will take the full week.  I have another issue that has presented it’s self so I have to deal with it first when I land, then I can go do what I was sent there to do.  It will be nice charging my food and not worrying about how it’s going to be paid for, since it’s not coming out of my pocket.  I will miss the cats like crazy, probably more now than before. 

My friend came up today and I gave him all of the information and access that he will need to get in to take care of the cats.  I also have the police doing extra patrol and told the alarm company that if they receive any signals to notify the police first, then go through the contact list.  I suspect there will be at least one false alarm but the instructions are pretty simple on how to operate the system.  I will worry about everything while I am gone, more now than before.

There is so much work to be done around here just simple stuff to get me ready for my trip.  I have no desire to do anything.  I just want to rest.  I need cat food, have to do laundry and pack, clean the house, get the trash ready to go out, clean up my desk and make sure that valuables are secured prior to my departure.  Plus do the dishes.  There is just no shortage of things to do but I really need a serious shot of energy and motivation.  I don’t even want to cook or prepare anything, I would just as soon skip a meal but then I will feel sick and I don’t like that.

When I get back on Saturday I have to go to the eye doctor.  The following Saturday I have to visit the dentist.  All in the name of good health.  My new insurance cards haven’t arrived and I really hope they get here before the 1st of the month.  My present coverage ends on April 30th.  I have paid for 3 full months of insurance and I was told that I can pay in advance.  So when things shake out I will be paying a year or at least six months at a time.  That will make the process easier and lighten the worry on me a little bit. 

So I am going to surf the web and try to get motivated.  The cats will want food very soon, which is an excuse for me to go upstairs and come back down with my laundry.  Once I get going I can’t be stopped but the problem is getting going. 

I have no idea when I will be updating this next but know that I am doing what I have to in order to survive as well as deal with the financial aspect of things.  My hands are much more full now and my time really isn’t my own and probably won’t be for a while. 

I leave you with this.  I went for Chinese food on Thursday to treat myself and my fortune cookie said “you will soon be traveling to distant lands for business.”  No shit!  Maybe I should play those lucky numbers, they might just win me the lotto.  :)

Talk with you peeps again soon.

1 comment:

Jude said...

All of the financial worries are so taxing and worrying, it's no wonder you are out of energy to do anything. Wow that's an expensive helicopter ride!

I'm glad you have someone to take care of your furry kids while you're away. I hope your trip goes by quickly for you my friend!