I managed to finally fall asleep last night shortly after midnight. While I was tired all day long and hoped that I would drop like a rock when it was time for bed, that wasn’t the case. I suddenly became wide awake.
As usual Big Boy woke me up around 5 and then just about the time the alarm was going to go off, one of the girls started chirping.
I made it to the interview with a little less than 15 minutes to spare. Someone needed to stop for breakfast and gasoline. Yes, I was with my partner. I thought for sure I was going to be late.
The HR person I was supposed to meet with took her sweet time to come and get me. She looked nothing like I had her pictured in my mind. She was all talky and friendly then we went into a conference room and it was like a monster came out. She peppered me with questions. I could barley finish one question and she was firing another one at me. She was all over the place from tell me about your best boss to where do you see yourself in seven years. I was starting to think that this was a waste of time, she couldn’t answer specific technical questions I had about the job. Then finally she went to get the hiring manager, who talked tech with me.
The tech part of the interview went rather well. The entire process was about two hours. The hiring manager told me that she thought I would be perfect for this position and she still had two people to interview but that I would be hearing from HR soon. Sounds like she wants to hire me, but then again I have heard that before.
There are some pitfalls to this job, just as there are with any job. First, I would be stuck on a shift from 10 am to 7 pm M-F. There is some over time that comes with the job, but thankfully there is no on-call. I like that, so when you leave for the day you don’t have to take the job with you. This position would involve lots of documentation both for peers and end users, Help Desk and Desktop work. They have multiple domains, multiple pieces of hardware and they are 1/2 Apple and 1/2 PC based. I couldn’t believe this but they actually let employees bring their own phones and get corporate e-mail on it. What a huge security risk, plus then they have to support that device when the person (user) calls doesn’t know how to get mail or has a problem. That is kind of a nightmare in it’s self. So there would be variety in this job which is good but it sounds like I would be a ball juggler again.
So your probably wondering between yesterday and today, which job do I really want. I like todays job for the fact there would be no travel and no on call. Yesterdays job seems like it would expose me to much more tech and put me a little outside my comfort zone, not to mention the travel. To answer the question I would like to have the job I interviewed for yesterday. However, it will be first come first serve. There are no guarantees that either place will call, but they both left me with the impression they wanted me, stay tuned and I will tell you how it turns out, just as soon as I know.
Back to the rest of the day. After the interview we stopped off at Olive Garden for Soup, Salad & Breadsticks and washed it all down with Peach Raspberry Tea. Cheap and darn good! Then it was to the post office, and finally home. Where we both collapsed. Nothing like a nice afternoon nap to quell the shock of waking up at such an early morning hour.
After I awoke I went to clean up a mess my partner had made. He stopped for breakfast. Decided that he would get a Frozen Coke Icee but filled the cup with ice cubes first. Under the weight the cup broke and there was unfrozen coke all over the inside of the truck. I tried to be conservative with the clean up but that quickly proved to not do the job. So I got out the steamer and a roll of paper towels. I spent over an hour cleaning out the inside of the car. Steaming everything. Then I polished things off with some UV Protectant and broke out the vacuum. I got up all of the crumbs, rocks and other things that collect on the floor. Put in an air freshener and called my partner to come take a look. He bitched but he came and looked. Wow was his reaction, he hasn’t seen the vehicle that clean since the day he bought it. I give it two weeks and it will be back to the way it was. Hopefully, I am wrong.
So I was working in the sun, temperatures were not too bad but all of the manual labor I was doing made me hot and sweaty. I came inside and dumped cold water on my head. That felt so good that I decided to take a nice cold shower. Ah, that did the trick. I changed into some shorts and a t-shirt, much better. Had a soda and sat on the couch with the kids and watched some old cop TV show until the 5 o’clock news came on. I was surprised to hear about Dick Clark. He did so much in his lifetime, what an amazing ride he had. Not to mention a stroke didn’t keep him down. He will be missed.
That pretty well wraps up the highlights and lowlights of the day. I’m computing now. Tomorrows appointment is in the afternoon and that’s it. Nothing else planned for the rest of the week. I’ve got 2 full weeks of unemployment left until I am out of funds, which will take me into the first full week of May.
I just hope between these two places someone calls quickly. I’m still applying like crazy in the hopes more places will call. I need phone calls and interviews to continue until someone hires me. Sadly no word from the charity, I do believe their silence speaks volumes and I got the message. It sucks that people don’t always honor their word when they say they will call. Sort of like dating I suppose.
I do hope all is going well in your world. Two more days until the weekend is here. This week is certainly flying by but only because I have been busy with interviews, phone calls and meetings. I like it when I feel productive and it feels like I am moving out of the rut I am in. I will talk with you peeps later!
1 comment:
I really hope one of these 2 interviews gets you a good job that you like Jer!
That's so sad about Dick Clark, he always seemed to me to be the "man who never aged".....
Post a Comment