10 March 2025

Stumbling along

Had a nice sunny drive to and from Red Lobster.  This was my first time consuming the entire Flounder meal in one sitting.  Normally I take some of it to go.  The waitress I had brought me some of the old style tartar sauce and that is what made the meal.  The broccoli I ordered came out soggy it was dripping with some sauce they used for seasoning and it wasn’t crispy fresh as it usually is.  Therefore, I didn’t eat a whole lot of it.  It was a really enjoyable experience. 

Once I was home I passed out food for the cats and then treats.  I spent the rest of the evening with them and after treat time they both settled down and fell asleep.  Still a little confused by the time change.  Mora wasn’t jumping at me right at 6p which was a welcome change of pace. 

I went to update and backup my iPad and saw a notification from my doctor.  Not sure why it didn’t register on my phone but it was a couple hours old.  At any rate he’s very concerned about the results of the test regarding my probability to having a cardiac event.  He said that my results are double what the norm should be.  This can all be fixed with a drug but unfortunately it’s injection only (either every two weeks or once a month).  The most common side effects are higher blood sugar and flu like symptoms.  The other kicker here is that for me since my cholesterol is well controlled this would be considered off-label use and the cost is around $500 per month.  Like I told him that is either a car payment or half of a mortgage payment – a bit much to spend.  The drug is shown to work to lower the risk but hey in the end guess what?  I’m still going to die, might not be as soon but it’s still going to happen. 

I checked with my insurance and they cover the drug with prior authorization from a doctor.  Which means they probably won’t approve it for me is my guess.  Cost estimates are way more reasonable but the price I pay could be different than what I saw on the website.  I suppose it depends on how much insurance approves.  I’ve asked the doc if he thinks he can get authorization and a few other questions.  I told him that his responses would help me arrive at a decision.  I am not a fan of needles and the thought of stabbing myself with a pre-filled pen doesn’t sound like fun at all.  My late spouse did that with some of his diabetic medicine and it was a super fine and very small needle.  He told me it didn’t hurt but his belly was all bruised up.  Hey if the cost is reasonable I am wiling to give it a try.  If I suffer from any of the side effects all bets will be off.  If the cost of the medication for me is closer to that $500 range then I won’t be trying it at all.  Right now it’s a waiting game until I hear back from the doctor.  I anticipate it will be a few days before I hear back from him.  I suppose meanwhile lets hope I don’t have a cardiac event or as I hope if I am unlucky enough to suffer one I hope that it takes me out.  That’s what happened with my mom.  She is the first person in the family that I am aware of to have a cardiac event but strokes and heart attacks I know that cardiac issues are in the family history.  I am a little bothered by this but I do still look at it as the fact that we all have an expiration date.  Personally I think mine will happen when I am in my 60’s or 70’s but not to sound too morbid but tomorrow isn’t promised to any of us. 

Call me crazy but I think that if I am fortunate enough to find another man that will decrease my risk.  I say that because I will be happier.  Having regular sex, probably traveling and just loving life way more than I do today.  At least that is my hope.  The tough part is finding that person. 

On a different note it’s been a little busy this morning.  I am in a lull right now and just enjoying it for all it’s worth.  Did something last night that I haven’t done on a Sunday in a very long time.  Shave and Shower.  Normally I put it off until Monday night.  I did it not only to get the task out of the way to help with sleep.  It worked for the most part but I still woke up tired and had a couple of brief wake up calls in the middle of the night.  I really didn’t want to get going this morning but now that I have it’s not so bad thus far.  Here’s hoping that the rest of the week can be like this.  I don’t mind a little busy but just not crazy busy with my hair on fire. 

Picked up a Corned Beef and Cabbage sandwich from the grocery store aka a Ruben.  However, there is no sauerkraut and thousand island dressing.  I am thinking of having half of it and putting some stone ground mustard on it.  It sounds good at the moment.  Plus trying an Zero Orange Cream Coke.  Pasta will be for dinner along with some cake for desert. 

I didn’t watch any of the good TV I talked about in yesterdays post so I still have that to enjoy.  Here’s hoping for a better nights sleep. 

Have a great day and I will talk to you again soon!

No comments: