26 March 2025

Pizza is gone

Morning … that’s a different title for a post.  I had to think of something to put there and that’s the first thing that came to mind.  It’s true too, I ate the last of the pizza last night it was okay not as good as when it was originally served.  Now that’s out of the fridge it’s on to something else to eat for dinner tonight. 

I’ve got this habit that I picked up from my grandfather.  Each morning I look at the local obituaries to see who has passed away.  That’s the only way I will ever know.  I was shocked to learn this morning that a great aunt passed away.  I find it odd that there is only a visitation and no funeral per say.  It’s next week when I am on-call.  I could go but will more likely just send flowers.  It’s not cheaper but sure is easier.  I am not fond of the habit as I think it ages me but I’ve done it for years and started when I was much younger. 

Yesterday I got drowsy sitting in front of these two monitors and opted to head upstairs and lay down.  I watched a little TV but closed my eyes and then my phone went off.  I just knew that was going to happen, so much so that I predicted it to the cats.  Yeah it was something I needed to deal with but I was just too lazy and said it will be there waiting for me when I get up.  Then more stuff came rolling in.  I let the phone chirp for a few minutes before it calmed down.  Then I started to drift off and the lawn guy showed up.  My lawn got it’s first cut of the season.  I went back to work for a bit to take care of the few emails that had accumulated. 

My boss is on-call this week but I’ve found that I am the one doing all of the heavy lifting.  Even stuff that comes in after-hours he doesn’t jump on like the rest of us would, he just leaves it and I clean it up come morning.  He did take one easy assignment that came in yesterday while I was at lunch, just because it was easy.  The only way I know to rebel against this is to let shit back up and I did at one point yesterday.  It just means that I will have a large pile to clean up in the end.  It’s not fair that the rest of us pull our weight but the boss hides behind the excuse “ I have meetings and other assignments “  yeah well too bad your the on-call person.  Funny thing is that on-call means something different to him than the rest of us and outside of him we all operate the same.  He’s noticed that I am doing the heavy lifting and thanked me in one of our dumb meetings yesterday, whoopie.  Like that does anything for me. 

What made my day is that a supervisor from another team that I help out frequently so they are able to do their jobs reached out to me directly and sent me what I call a feel good email.  It said how appreciative they were for all that I do and how quick I am to help them and that I never, ever complain regardless of what they throw at me they know the job is going to get done and quickly.  People have been talking about the superior service that I give for 10 years and I don’t plan on giving them a reason to stop.  Compliments like that trickle to the top of the management chain, perhaps not as fast as bad news but it gets there.  That’s the kind of reputation that you want to build.  Problem is that it becomes tougher and tougher to out do yourself.  My boss wasn’t copied it was a note meant just for me.  I usually forward those on but opted not to this time.  I just hang on to them, they come in handy when your having a bad day you can look back on them and it helps to cheer you up.  That’s a tip from a colleague that I used to work with. 

On the cat front.  I went to throw away the pizza box and Mora thought she could just go out in the garage.  She tried but I stopped her.  I had to make a couple more trips to the garage to toss some bulky stuff out and she went back to keeping her distance.  Last thing I need is a cat the turns into a door dasher.  I am so out of shape there is no way I could catch either of them if they bolted.  Here is hoping that never ever happens. 

Had a bladder wake up call last night and made the mistake of rubbing my eye because it itched.  That only made things worse but some how I managed to fall back to sleep once I returned to bed.  Rudy kept me company and snuggled up against my back.  I would move and he would readjust himself just to let me know he was still there.  These cats sure are something.  I wasn’t in the best head space as the evening wore on and I think they probably picked up on that. 

On the agenda for today is one dumb weekly meeting with the boss.  Then whatever happens to bubble up my way during the day.  Thus far it’s chill but that can change at any time with little to no warning so I have to stay ready.  Speaking of ready I am ready for a nap already, not a good sign since it’s only 9a here.  It’s probably the sugar wearing off from the one pop-tart that I had with breakfast. 

It’s a nice Spring day here with pollen in the air, allergies acting up and the temperatures being cool.  The house has a slight chill in it but it’s enjoyable to me.  The cats will sun bathe to soak up the heat and the house will warm up as time moves on.  High today I think is 65 which isn’t bad.  Bring on the hot guys, shirtless guys so that my mouth will water as much as my nose and eyes are from the allergies. 

Hope it’s a great day in your neck of the woods. 

No comments: