02 August 2021

Frustration

I will be glad when this week is done, only because I happen to be on-call.  My counterpart called in today with a sick kid.  He left a lot of what I refer to as ‘bombs’ all over the place with work that he said he would do but didn’t.  I had to pick up the pieces and really am tired of it.  The same damn thing happened last week but he was working so we had a conversation about it.  This afternoon after I had time to reflect I memorialized what transpired in an email and asked him to help me help him be successful.  What I do isn’t Brain Surgery or Rocket Science.  As long as you can read and follow directions then you can do the job.  Truth be told this has been going on for a while but it’s been here and there.  This is an odd predicament to be placed in because we have a decent working relationship and I value it.  However if at the end of the day he can’t cut the mustard then it’s time to find someone who can.  I have already dug a small grave for myself because I haven’t been telling the boss about it, but that’s why I sent the email so I will have something to refer back to if it’s necessary.  I need my job and while I am doing the work of 2 people once again I am only paid for 1 job. 

He made me even madder because I saw an alert over the weekend that I told him how to deal with, he ignored me and left the problem for Monday.  He was on call and it was his job to deal with it but he just set it aside. 

If your going to do the job, then might as well do it right.  No one is perfect and I am the first one to own my mistakes but this has to come to an end.  I am hopeful that he will pull it together, if not then it’s going to be a long and bumpy ride because no one gets fired overnight.  The reason why I was able to get rid of the last person who was dead weight was only because he finally after 2 years quit but I had been building a case on him for a very long time.  That gets old as well.

I just hope this has a happy and quick ending!  Otherwise, it’s been an okay day.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Sorry you are having this problem with your co-worker. It's an age-old issue when one party won't carry their weight. You are doing the best thing possible which is documenting what happens and when. Just realize, at some point, you will need to discuss all of this with your boss. Something I imagine you are not looking forward to. Stay safe.

Susan