04 August 2021

Return to work

images

Information was disseminated today that we still have a mandatory back to work after Labor Day. The plan has changed in that we will be working a Hybrid model where you only have to be in the office 2 days per week, the rest of the time you can work from home. Masking is mandatory for now.

Our leadership thinks they are making a smart approach to going back full time by easing everyone into a 2 day in the office schedule. Never mind the Delta variant it’s not really a threat for our people at this time, but that too could change. The insult here is that if you’re a fee earner, meaning you generate revenue for the organization you can work from home so long as you can meet your clients needs. I think that is a double standard. Just because I am staff doesn’t make my life any less valuable. However, this ‘double standard’ has always been in place and is not something that is new. The fee earners have unlimited time off as well, whereas staff people accrue

There isn’t a mandatory vaccination requirement in place but it’s also being considered, meaning that if you don’t get the shots chances are good that you won’t have a job.

Despite being vaccinated I’ve elected not to share that fact with my employer as I feel they aren’t privy to my health info. If it becomes mandatory to disclose then I will certainly do so. All of our offices are in multi-tenant buildings and since that is the case, no one is privy to what the other businesses in the various offices are doing regarding COVID. If we owned an office and it was just our employees, then I would not have nearly the level of concern that I do today.

At the moment I really don’t want to go back and don’t feel comfortable in doing so. I am still watching the numbers as my doctor asked me. I am waiting until we get a little bit closer and then I plan to ask for a letter from my doctor requesting that I remain working from home for now. If things get better in the world and the spread of the virus settles down, I’ve got no problem with going back, despite the fact that I really am used to working from home. Hell, it’s been a hear and a half and was quite the change to make so I really don’t think anyone who has gotten used to it will want to change back. However, all good things must come to an end and it’s not like I thought that I would be able to work from home forever. That said, I know that the pandemic has opened quite a bit of eyes to the ability and possibility for transitioning workers to a full remote model as a cost savings to many businesses. If they would help pay for the internet, I think it would be a win-win for everyone. That’s not something that I ever see flying with my present employer.

My decision to not return, lies in the hands of my doctor and unless he puts something in writing I will have to bend to the will of my employer, because at the end of the day I need money and having a job generates said money.

I do understand the importance of getting back to business and getting people together, I just feel that now is not the right time for that. Labor Day typically marks the end of Summer so it will be the last big get together before we have Thanksgiving. There will likely be rises in COVID cases after any major holiday where people get together. That said, I think that this will be something that were dealing with for at least another year if not two or three. Until then I think that life will be all about living in a new normal and people as well as business will need to adjust according to the infection/spread rate. I don’t think we have seen the last of a full lockdown across the US. I know that for the most part we want to keep things open and functioning but if the infection/spread rate gets too high it only makes sense to lockdown to slow the spread, as unpopular a decision as it is.

The virus sounds unpleasant and isn’t something that I want or need. While odds are that it wouldn’t kill me or put me in the hospital since I have the shots, I see no reason to gamble. One thing is for sure I don’t want to die for any reason until after my 4-legged friend is gone. I know she would be so lost without me. I still wonder how she will adjust to a hybrid schedule where I am here somedays and other days not. Then there is my sleep schedule, especially with her waking me up in the middle of the night. Being sleep deprived or having interrupted sleep isn’t something that is healthy long term. I am at the point where she is starting to settle down and changing routines for sure would upset that rhythm, not to mention when there isn’t anything going on I can cat nap during the day and no one is the wiser. Going back to the office will prevent that or at the very least make it super uncomfortable.

Stay tuned to see how this plays out.

No comments: