05 February 2020

Oh what a night

On my way home last night the temperature had dropped and it was raining.  We were still above freezing.  By the time I was crossing the bridge it was dark as in pitch black.  There was a huge delay and eventually I got to see why.  There was a car in the fast lane that was broke down and totally dark – no flashers or lights of any kind.  For fear of the car being struck I remained behind it and called 911.  I was in between 2 states and knew that I needed my state but wound up in the wrong state when I called 911.  They took a report and said they would send someone.  I manually dialed my state’s police and told them.  They said someone would be on the way.  Some 20 minutes later and I am wondering WTF when is someone coming.  Then I finally saw flashing lights behind me and I got out.  I explained to the driver what was going on.  He went to the car and there was a young lady in there scared and trying to get ahold of her auto club.  Thankfully the guy that showed up was a tow truck driver.  He asked me to stay where I was and he got in front of her to get her out of the roadway.  Not exactly sure what he did but the car started and she followed him until we could all get to the shoulder. 

The last time I stopped to help someone it blew up in my face and I almost wound up in jail.  This time I did thing differently.  I didn’t get out and talk, I just stayed put and made calls from my car.  Flashers and lights on until help arrived.  The lady was so thankful.  I told her that I stayed behind her to prevent her from getting hit. 

In the process I had a couple close calls myself and while I always change lanes or slow down when I see flashing lights, not everyone does  Cars were whipping by us despite the fact there was an obvious emergency.  Not exactly how I planned my night to go but I am glad that I was there to be able to lend a hand.  I wanted to leave but just couldn’t because I knew that she would get hit for sure, it was an accident waiting to happen. 

When I got home I had problems finding Momma.  As I looked down the hall there she was laying outside of the litter box.  She looked scared and I touched her she screamed.  I figured that this was it.  Nope, she got up and shook herself off and then followed me to the kitchen.  I gave her some food and she ate supper.  Yet another time when I thought for sure we were at the end and it turned out to be a false alarm. 

I gave her fluids and managed to put the needle straight through her skin pointing on the counter.  She laid there knowing full well I was making a mess and never said a word.  It wasn’t until we were done that I realized I messed up.  So I had to clean up and then start over  She was less than thrilled with me and even turned off her purr motor.  She wanted away from me in the worst way.  I didn’t give her much fluid but enough that I thought it may help pep her up.  It’s getting obvious that she is running out of steam and sleeping doesn’t seem to help much. 

This morning breakfast was a little bit of a chore but she still ate.  I was ready to pull out the baby food.  I got her meds in and decided to cut back a little bit on the Lasix.  We have more Winter weather on the way so given Momma’s condition and the weather I opted to work from home today. 

I know I keep on saying this but I really don’t think we have too much time left together.  I am oddly calm about it and that is concerning.  I still worry about her but I’m not a mess like I have been in times past.  Which makes me think all the more that this rollercoaster ride is coming to an end. 

I don’t feel the best today and could really use some sleep.  I’ll try to work in a nap at lunch time.  I’m glad that I have the rest of the week off.  Sadly I have to visit the doctor but other than that I should be close by her.  She does need more medicine but I am holding off a bit just to see what happens.  I will probably call tomorrow or Friday to get a few more pills.  It’s the Lasix that were low on and since the vet sells name brand only it’s not the cheapest thing. 

I will continue to keep you posted as I can.  It wouldn’t surprise me in the least if Momma kept on going for a bit longer.  I am not giving up on her or counting her out.  If things get to the point where mobility is an issue or there is obvious distress then I will make the undesired call but until then I am taking the best care of her that I can and still hoping for a miracle (which I don’t believe will come but hope doesn’t cost anything). 

Happy middle of the week.

No comments: