I went to my former co-worker/friends funeral, which was described as a celebration of life. They even said when the service started that if we were there for a funeral we were in the wrong room. I was impressed when I pulled up the parking lot of the funeral home was full. I had to get creative with my parking. I thought for sure there would be at least a hand full of people from work but surprisingly I only saw the lady that sits next to me. I was very disappointed that there were not more people from work there.
The service its self was very short. Apparently he had planned things in advance, which I think is a great thing to do because it removes the burden from your family. Plus you know what’s supposed to happen even though you won’t be there. So a preacher spoke a little bit, music played, his daughter spoke and then the preacher again. It was about 45 minutes if that. At the end there was a presentation by the US Air Force with rifles and the whole flag ceremony. I was misty eyed through out the “civilian” portion of the service. By the time the military part rolled in I was really emotional. So glad I came with a clean handkerchief. The military portion is emotional, even the military type ceremony at a policy officers funeral will get me to tear up. Most every funeral I go to I think back to my loss and feel sorry for the family. This man knew a lot of people and was very personable. I will so miss being able to pick up the phone and talk with him, not that I called on a regular basis. He was more interested in what was going on at the office and how i was rather than talking about his situation. He did give me an update when I called and that’s what I was most interested in. He tried to keep the spotlight off of himself and today I learned that he never liked to be in the spotlight. They had food at a nearby church but I didn’t go to that. Unfortunately there was no guest/memory book. I would have really loved to talk with his family.
Most of all I was thankful that my boss helped cover my on-call for the day to allow me to go. Nothing is going on and it’s been quiet, which is usually the case on a Sunday.
On a more personal note, Ms. Momma is still doing really well. We have moved out of my room and are occupying the living room/kitchen area which is more normal for all of us. Right now I’m typing on the couch. Marv is passed out next to me. Momma is by the back door and Gator is sleeping in her bed. I was able to get some fluids in Momma early this afternoon. She became fussy so I stopped short of what would be a normal dose. I will be giving her more here in a bit. I want to do my part so she gets back on a full normal path and we can get away from daily fluids. She is very happy and grateful as well as clingily. I know that she worships me for being her hero and now helping her out when she is sick only further endears me to her. I’ve never felt so appreciated by an animal.
Well on with my evening, at least I can rest a bit before it’s back to the normal bump and grind of the work week. At least I won’t be on call and we should be back to a normal staffing level. Ah, fun!
I hope all is well in your world and that your staying warm. I will talk with you all again soon. Have a great week!
No comments:
Post a Comment