23 May 2014

How did it go?

Told the boss man I had an appointment and he didn’t have any problem with it.  Made it to the interview with 15 minutes to spare.  They started 5 minutes late. 

It was the more like an interrogation than an interview.  We started off by where do you work, what do they do, where are they located, how much did you start when you hired in and what do you make now.  Then ii was what do you do, who is your boss, how do you evaluate your boss, how to you evaluate yourself, if we called your boss what would they say about you.  We did the little dance for 3 jobs.  Then we got more into give us a time when you put your foot in your mouth, give us an example of how you overcame a challenge, give us a time when you had a problematic customer what did you do to resolve their concern and how did you interface with them afterwards. 

It was by far the most throughout interview that I have ever had.  It took about an hour and a half.  I am not one to talk in run on sentences when you ask me a question and especially not in an interview. 

The biggest mistake is that people make is they talk and turn a work related question in to a personal question then they expose information that really doesn’t help them.  I keep the focus on work and don’t stray into my personal life, although it’s tempting and quite easy to do. 

I got my chance to ask questions and that took the 1/2 hour.  I left with this question, given our conversation today is there any reason why I wouldn’t be the candidate that you hire?  Everyone said there is no reason why we wouldn’t hire you.  Now I have asked that question before been told there are no reservations and then still didn’t get the job.  So I am not taking that as a sign that I got the job.

My guess is that I am 75% sure that the job is mine.  They told me how competitive their pay is but where they really shine is in the benefit area.  Translation …. we don’t pay shit but you get good health insurance.  Well I don’t need health insurance, I need great pay.  I mean money is the only reason why I am working.  My benefits as far as health insurance is taken care of.  Long & Short Term Disability as well as Retirement would be nice added perks providing they didn’t come funded 100% by me.

They came on strong at first about wanting to call my boss and asking for his number.  I offered it up right away but they decided not to take it, saying that HR would have to ask my permission and then I could share it.  Uh it’s on the job application that I filled out.  All you have to do is look at the form and you have what you need.  I didn’t hold back.

This is the last opportunity that I have on the line.  If this doesn’t come through then I will have to start interviewing and continuing to pound the pavement.  My hope, my prayer is that this job is done and I can get on with my life. 

If I get this, provided I could afford the air fair and hotel I would love to fly to NYC and see NPH in Hedwig.  Even though the show is sold out I think (don’t know for sure) that I could manage to get tickets.  However, that is a pipe dream because I probably can’t afford the plane ride and hotel.  I am more likely to travel to get pie and stay a night in a hotel with a Jacuzzi.  While there wouldn’t be any NPH there would be rest and relaxation.

The biggest question that I have right now is how long will it be before I know either way as to how things went.  Will it be today or will they make me wait until next week.  I mean the decision is already made, it just a matter of informing the applicant.  They did a scoring session and talked right after I left.  If I could have stayed and eavesdropped I would have.  Still I will know eventually if I made it.  Right now I am just on pins and needles with anticipation. 

Looking forward to a 3 day weekend, getting together to have a bite with friends.  Cleaning the carpet, even though I know the kids will mess it up as soon as I am done.  Trying to relax and sleep in, if the little monsters will let me.  Then of course there is the every weekend things to do like cleaning, dishes, laundry and going food shopping for both myself and the cats.  Ugh.

I rewarded myself from all of the stress with a meal at Cracker Barrel and later in the evening I watched the season finale of The Middle and ate a pint of Chocolate Therapy by Ben & Jerry.  That was way fun, even though it wasn’t good for my body, it was good for the soul. 

Happy Friday.  I will keep you posted as soon as I know something. Fingers Crossed, Praying and hoping this is the one!

No comments: