15 July 2012

Good Job–Really

It’s been one hell of a week!  I am glad we are at the weekend and I really wish it was still Friday night, so I would have another day to play besides Sunday that is around the corner. 

So on the job front….. Wednesday I was called to the bosses office.  He asked me to talk about all of the items that I had “pending” mean the ones where he said we will talk but never bothered to follow up.  Yeah, those pending items.  So I went down the list.  I never mentioned WIFI and I also never mentioned the Office.  I got what I needed and planned on getting out.  However, he had other plans.  We talked about WIFI and he wanted an alternative solution by the end of the week.  Thankfully I was already working on something so this wasn’t a surprise to me.  Then I caught him off guard and asked him what he thought of my performance.  He said well it’s been a rough couple of months.  I thought you son of a bitch, you’re the whole reason it’s been rough.  Anyway, his sticking point with me was the whole WIFI issue.  So I asked him to set that aside and then tell me how he thought I was doing.  He said he was very happy.  But reminded me that I’m still on probation.  Then he told me he wanted me to recount the entire conversation we just had in an e-mail to him so we both would have a record of it.  Do you think he had an ulterior motive?  I sure do!  But I did it and I’ve got a copy of it here at home.  I set him up in the e-mail and I don’t think he realizes it.  So fire me, go ahead, I imagine he will say something like I wasn’t happy with his performance.  Really, then I whip out the e-mail that he responded to that confirmed the details of our conversation.  Bingo got him dead center. 

Thursday was a complete disaster, everything that could go wrong did and it was only the 12th!  I hated to see what Friday the 13th would be like.

Turns out it was the best Friday the 13th I have had in a very long time.  I submitted my idea for WIFI and got him significant cost savings but it means I have to do all of the labor and installation work myself.  It means something that should take me a couple days with contractors involved will take much longer.  One site alone will be an entire week.  Plus I just found out they don’t have AC.  Awesome!  Anyway, he wrote back and told me to order the stuff I needed, he was pleased and even said good job.  Holy crap, I printed that out because it’s going in a frame (not really).  I figure that is the only time where I will see those words from him.  I sent some additional e-mails to him later in the day and he responded right away.  His ass-is-tant is also pleased now and suddenly seems to be treating me a little better. 

I feel like the WIFI thing saved my job.  I felt so good.  However, I am not delusional enough to think that we won’t continue to have problems and that I can stay in this job long term.  No way, no how, no chance.  I am still looking for a job some place where I can be happy, get better benefits and be treated a whole hell of a lot better.  For now I will ride this job and take every damn dime they want to send my way.

This whole situation is such a shame and so avoidable if the fucker I have for a boss would just leave me alone and not screw with me.  I don’t know why he is a son of a bitch but he is.

In talking with a friend I found out that the business isn’t as rosy as they make it to be.  They are extended in credit far beyond their ability to repay.  They are constantly being sued.  A group of former employees banded together and formed a class action suit against them.  They have cause and their case is pretty much in the bag, they will take them for a very large sum of money.  If things like this keep happening it’s only a matter of time before they go out of business or file for bankruptcy protection.  Plus each state where there is a facility is after them for violations and they often come in for surprise inspections, which they never seem to pass.  The place is more crooked than Washington DC.  Maybe that explains why my boss treats most people like they are shit.  I don't know but I do know none of us have ever done anything to deserve the treatment we are getting.  You know it’s time to leave when you Google the place you work for and nothing but bad PR and lawsuits come up.

So I will be much happier when I get to leave.  If he leaves first then I might consider staying but I have a feeling that a job offer will present its self long before he leaves the organization.  Blogging all of my thoughts is kind of dangerous but fuck I have to let it out.  I just cant stand that miserable.  Okay I will stop.

Moving on today was a goose chase over a refill for my fake Mont Blanc pen.  Turns out I found something in my own backyard that will work.  I had to add a spring from another pen to it before it would work, but damn I got refills – 4 of them for $1.12.  Now after all of the shit I have been though to find these fuckers I am so happy.  Now it’s my favorite pen to use.  That won’t last long but at least I am happy for the moment.

My left hand has been hurting.  Before you think I’ve been whacking my meat that isn’t it at all.  Besides that I am right handed! :) I twisted in some odd position when I was working in the office and it’s been bothering me since last week.  So I gave in and called for a massage.  I figured it would be a good way to cap off the week from hell.  I got 1 hour for $61 and she did it my way!  Total back, shoulders and neck for 1 hour.  It felt good but I am so damn sore and I know the morning will really suck.  I am going to take 1/2 of a muscle relaxer before bed and maybe even a hot shower.  Sounds good huh?

I think it was Thursday when I got home my partner told me not to yell at him.  He said that a cute guy would be coming back around 8pm to talk to me about pest control.  It’s with a new company.  The guy had some Latino in him but he was so damn fine and sweet, he just made you want to sign your life away if only you could have him.  Well, while he treated me well and I was enamored by his looks just before it was time to sign the contract and he was done with his sales pitch he said do you have any questions.  I said yeah, my job is presently posted on the internet, I could loose my job tomorrow and you want me to make a 1 year commitment to your company when I have no idea if I will have a job tomorrow.  Tell me how long is your sweet offer good for?  That’s when he said you can call me anytime and I will honor the price I am telling you.  Then he just gave me the contract, unsigned.  He said if you want to do it call me.  That was sweet but I would rather do him.  He left and my partner said what did I tell you, he was hot, right.  I said yeah he was but I can’t commit to something that I don’t know if I will be able to fulfill.  It is not like I would be able to file bankruptcy again, so it’s better not to sign.  Besides that we can go to Home Depot and get what we need and take care of the bugs ourselves.

The next day just before I got into the shower I notice a very large ant.  I killed it.  Then later that night our shy girl was bitten by something.  We have gone through this for the last couple years.  She has a welt on her ear.  Her neck and part of her back is all bit up.  She let me scratch her for a minute but that is it.  She isn’t really too bothered by it, like she has been in the past.  However, I know she needs a shot of prednisone and that will clear it up.  That costs money though and since she appears to be doing okay, I am saving my money.  That way it’s there for when I need it be it for her or something else.  It’s like it was a bad thing to say no to this guy but I just couldn’t enter into a contract, I hate them to start with.

Now if was an employment contract then I would probably be loving it. There would be some form of protection.

Well make it a good week and I will try to do the same.  Stay cool and be well.  Talk with you peeps later!

2 comments:

Jude said...

Wow, maybe you SHOULD frame any good words your boss throws at you! Yes if that company is in that much legal water I'd agree with you that this probably isn't your job for life.

I hope your hand is getting better. Try icing it too.

Have a good week my friend!

Jeremy Ryan said...

You are so correct. I think my future here is a little brighter now that I have an office but a lot will depend upon the installation of the wifi. If that goes south then so will my job.

Sux that I have all this pressure. However, this too shall pass.

When God is ready for me to move he will cause an opportunity to open up and I will slide right in, just like I did here. Although, I am not sure why he put me here. I am learning a lot so perhaps that is it, to broden my skills.

Hand is a little better but not much. I think I am just too tense. I'd go for another massage this weekend but that agravated my sinuses something horrible. Plus it's not cheap! :)