19 September 2022

Breaking point–time to give up

Yesterday afternoon I was able to get into the attic.  Not as far in as I needed to be because I got wedged between the garage door opener and the ladder.  I could have moved the ladder to fix that but honestly I was exhausted just trying to wrestle the adjustable ladder from the wall.  It’s a two person job to get it down and put it back up but I have managed twice now to get it down and put it back up.  I am very out of shape and it drains the life out of me. 

At any rate I could tell that the odor I am smelling inside of my home is coming from the attic as I had suspected.  I set off the last fogger that I had purchase from Homo Depot and it made a minor dent for a couple minutes.  I backed out and closed up shop.  Put away the ladders.  Got cleaned up as best I could. 

Then it was off to drop off a package and I got me some Steak N Shake.  I really wanted chili but considering the nausea that comes and goes with this smell I opted to not get any.  It was difficult but probably for the best. 

I ate my food when I got home.  Took care of Gator and all of the tasks I was behind on.  Had to wash my clothes because the smell permeated them.  I also needed another shower because my body smelled like the odor.  Damn near everything I smell smells like the odor.  Even Gator.  I can’t exactly wash her, I mean I can but I am not going to.  That would seriously upset her, she has never ever had a bath in her 18 years of life except one given by herself or her family members. 

I changed the furnace filter to a charcoal filter.  I think I mentioned that yesterday.  This type of filter is designed to absorb odors.  The old filter even though it was less than 2 weeks old looked absolutely horrible.  I can only imagine what I have been breathing in. 

My mood was calm and I was feeling okay just not wanting to start another Monday but that is usual on a Sunday evening.  I got my shower and was drying off.  I put away my towel and then I saw a mouse scurry by towards the living room.  It came from either my late spouses bedroom or office area, both of which doors are closed.  I just don’t understand how they can worm their way around my home when it’s not obvious to me how they are such little Houdini's. 

That made me reach my breaking point.  I am officially giving up.  I have poured hundreds of dollars in money and countless hours in time with traps and ultrasonic machines (which I honestly feel don’t do a damn thing) and my problem is still here.  I have no idea how they are getting in and I can only imagine the amount of damage they have done.  While the ceilings and walls are all dry and show no signs of moisture I am confident that they have soaked more than one piece of insulation.  Time to call a professional for help, this is clearly beyond my ability to solve.  I should have done this months ago but thought that I could fight the battle and win on my own.  Silly me. 

2022-09-19_09-43-16I reached out to an exterminator last night based on BBB Rating and the fact they are well known in the area.  I hear their commercials all the time but prior to that I never heard of them.  They seems to offer a comprehensive approach and also a 1 year guarantee that after they fix the problem if you see another mouse in that time, you call they come out and fix it for free.  I reached out by email and I don’t think they will be that responsive but I do plan on calling them later this afternoon if I have heard nothing.  I am not fond of having someone in my home.  First of all in general there is a mess with clutter (that is attractive to the mice).  Second I’ve got naked men calendars all over and there are some toys in my room.  It doesn’t feel right to thrust my sexuality on a complete stranger.  I won’t make any sexual advances but I don’t think it’s welcoming or professionally acceptable.  I mean they are here on business.  You don’t mix business & pleasure or vice versa it’s just never a good combo.  Based on what I read they seem to have a rapid response so I may or may not be going in tomorrow. 

The place smells horrible again this morning.  It’s a hot Indian Summer Day here were going to be fairly close to 100 and the AC is already on.  It ran several times overnight which is unusual because for the last two weeks it runs once in the afternoon and then it’s done for the day.  I was up a little bit later than I wanted to be and I didn’t take nearly as much sleeping medicine as I wanted to.  I also lost my drive for self pleasure.  It’s kind of depression city.  Right now it’s more fear of the unknown than anything.  Once I know what I am up against and how much damage has been done I will probably be more optimistic, especially since I will be attacking the problem with the help of a pro.  Get the smell gone possibly replace some insulation and get rid of the mice then this place might not be 1/2 bad but I honestly can’t take much more going wrong before I reach the breaking point of wanting to leave forever.  I realize that is a hasty decision and considering that Gator is still alive I don’t want to move at all while she is still living.  My experience with an older cat if you move they don’t last that long afterwards. I just don’t want to upset her world anymore than absolutely necessary, which includes trips to the vet. 

The only other major concern I have is the money it is going to take to tackle this.  First to get rid of them and then the cost for any damage they have done.  The overall value of this place based on location is pretty good.  I really don’t want to take a huge hit if I do reach the point when I leave. 

To add insult to injury while I was getting the ladders ready yesterday a car pulled up and a kid got out.  He handed me a newsletter from the HOA.  Looks like we have new leadership and they like every other so called leader this mickey mouse bullshit HOA has had claims to going to aggressively attack those people who haven’t paid their dues.  Well I am one of those people.  I have lived here for well over 20 years and never once do they have a penny of my money or my late spouses money.  We weren’t told about the HOA when we moved in.  As long as the property stayed in his name or the name of the Trust I could probably get away with that argument.  However when it transitioned into my name I was well aware of the HOA and should have been giving them money.  It’s a small amount.  However, my late spouse didn’t believe in HOA’s and I really don’t either.  They are all talk (bluff) and no bite.  His feeling was let them put a lien on the house to try to collect, he swore he would never pay and we would never move so they would be fucked.  If I luck out and they put a lien on this place I will probably take the same approach unless desperation kicks in.  I saw a meme on social media a few months back that said if you don’t like your HOA built a Roost for bats, the HOA can’t make you tare it down.  Yeah but the city probably can and bats are known to be in the area I don’t really want them in my backyard.  The idea that some jerk can tell me how tall my grass can be, what color I can paint my house, etc. is all pure bullshit to me.  I paid for this place no one has a claim to it but me.  At the end of the day they can’t evict me, their only recourse is to place a lien and hope that compels me to pay.  Fuck the HOA and every gullible fucker in this neighborhood that has paid.  I know that I am not alone and many of us don’t want them or like them. 

Stay tuned for more as the fun never seems to stop in my world.  Hope it’s a better week for me and a great week for you!  I am happy to hear any thoughts or suggestions you might have if you feel so inclined. 

No comments: