24 August 2020

Bundle of nerves


I woke up this morning to a notification from Amazon that my replacement fan was going to be delivered today instead of tomorrow. It did indeed arrive. When I picked up the package, I thought this is very heavy for a small fan. As I expected, I ordered the wrong fan. What I ordered was for the back of the PC and not for the heat sink. I am returning it for credit.

I am tired of vacillating on this. I figure that the fan was an omen and rather than delay what will be the inevitable might as well just get a new computer and call it a day. I scooped up a deal at Sam’s (online) for a computer and a 32-inch monitor. They tried to get me to upgrade my membership for $40 and that would give me free shipping but shipping was only $8. I paid for shipping because it cost far less. I know by upgrading I would be unlocking some additional benefits but honestly, it’s just not worth it to me. The best part about the shipping is it’s Express and I should have the unit by Friday or so they say. The next biggest problem was getting the website to accept payment. It was a large purchase so it stood out like a sore thumb. The first card I tried declined it twice. No one reached out and I got no alerts. I moved on and tried a different card, that too was declined but I got an instant alert asking if this was me trying to make the purchase. I said yes and then submitted the order again. Presto, were in business.

I am not positive that I have enough desk space for the new larger monitor and a second monitor but I will work it out somehow, some way. Looks like I figured out what to get myself for my upcoming birthday, yay me. It’s a large amount of money to part with, at least for me. In the grand scheme of things, it appears I am getting a good value for my money and it’s not like I will be making payments, I have the money it’s just that I didn’t want to spend it on this.

A colleague of mine helped me rationalize when I upgraded to a luxury SUV back in 2017. He said think of all the driving you do. You might as well be comfortable and enjoy yourself. Besides that, with everything you have been through, you deserve it. Yeah well that was my rational for buying it, that I was entitled to it for all of the BS life has thrown my way. However, rational won’t make the payments, they are left to me. To this day I am still pleased with my purchase and was actually planning on trading vehicles next month, but the pandemic hit and I have since called it off. Glad I did because what I wanted to buy has a recall on it and this is the first model year for it. Waiting can have its advantages. Perhaps next year will be the year I opt to make that move.

Using my colleague’s logic. I spend a lot of time in front of my computer. Might as well be happy. I won’t have the worry about something failing due to age. I will have a warranty to fall back on if something should go south. Once that is up, they threw in an additional 2 years of extended warranty support. The new machine will be fresh, more robust and I know it will be a pain but I will get it configured to my liking.

I am nervous now that I have spent the money as if the other shoe is about to drop. Hopefully, everything will hold together and nothing will fall apart, fail or otherwise cause me to spend any of my savings. I would be doing much better if our pay cut would be lifted at work. We have another meeting next month and while I am hopeful that they will have good news I am not expecting that decision to be made until much later in the year.

That said, I did get some good news. My mortgage payment went down by $10 and there was a small surplus in my escrow account so I have some money waiting for me at the post office. The refund was expected but I didn’t think it would be as significant as I learned it is. I’m glad I learned the trick of paying extra in to escrow once taxes and insurance go up, otherwise this would be a different scenario. I plan to keep making the same payment I have been, the extra goes towards the principal and while it’s not terribly significant it does count and maybe someday, I will actually own this place without a mortgage.

In other news, the cats were extra picky about what they wanted to eat this morning. It’s a guessing game. I get it right once and a while. Gator is limping again and I noticed the tip of her tail is starting to sprout white fur. Her body is showing its age, sadly. Having older cats, I do a fair amount of worrying, most of it needless but still they are my world and when something goes wrong, sometimes it can be fixed but is expensive and other times especially as they continue to age something goes wrong and it can’t be fixed. I know I am going to lose both of them, it’s inevitable. Losing 1 this year was truly soul crushing because I was closer with her than I have been with any other animal. I want to keep these last two around for a couple more years if I am permitted. I think Gator has some arthritis and it flairs up, this would explain why most of the time she is fine but once and a while the limp comes back.

The work day is about done. It was pretty busy this morning but this afternoon has drug by. I got a BS assignment to complete with a colleague tomorrow, it’s simple and straight forward but a waste of our time and data that really isn’t needed. We will do it and not complain but both me and my colleague think our time could be better spent.

I hope your Monday is going well and life is treating you fairly. Stay safe and be well. I will talk with you peeps again soon. Take care!

No comments: