09 January 2015

Oh what a night

I took my sleeping pills a little earlier than normal and they kicked in and I got an amazing night of sleep.  I had a wild dream but outside of that when the alarm went off I didn’t want to get up at all.  I wish I had more of those wonderful nights of sleep.  I will certainly try to recreate last night again tonight, not sure if I will have much success though. 

I was working on my computer after dinner and the door bell rang.  I thought that was a rather odd time of night for a visitor and wondered who it could be.  It was a sales person who once again thought the No Solicitors sign didn’t apply to him.  He was from AT&T trying to get me to switch all of my services over to Uverse.  They offer a top speed of 40mpbs and my cable company is giving me 100mpbs, now AT&T is cheaper but they are also slower.  Why on earth would anyone want to go from 100 down to 40 – makes no sense to me.  I did find out more about the installation.  I wasted as much of his time as possible and he gave me some information and I left him with the impression I would think about it.  The information went into the trash.  I did think about it and they could save me some serous money every month but it requires that you enter into a 1 year contract but the prices are good for 2 years.  If you lose your job or something unforseen happens you can place your service on vacation hold for up to 9 months.  You can also turn off a service w/o a penalty just so long as you maintain some service with them you won’t get penalized.  If you move to some place where they don’t offer uverse then the contract is null and void and they won’t try to enforce it.  After the contract expires, your rates go up but he said all you do is call in and we will put together a new package in order to retain your business.  So basically it works the same way as the cable company but the initial savings is greater and for 2 years instead of one, plus you are entering into a contract.  I have thought of switching the cable but right now I am happy with what I have.  It will give me bargaining power when my present offer expires with the cable company and it may in fact be the point at which I switch.  I will NOT switch internet for a slower speed, that would be stupid.   I did ask how they do the installation and was told they use the phone lines that are already in your house.  Sounds attractive but also sounds like it could cause problems.  I also found out that they provide you with a 6 hour battery backup for the phone, which is nice to maintain my alarm system and being able to call out in an emergency.  However, if something happens after that 6th hour your screwed – no way to call for help and no alarm system to report intruders or fire. 

In other news my password here at work is about to expire.  It’s always a challenge to think up a new password, mostly because of our security policy.  It has to be 8 characters long minimum and contain 3 out of the 4 – upper case, lower case, number, symbol/special character.  So all of my previously used passwords don’t work because they aren’t complex enough.  I am often mistyping my password and have come very close to locking myself out.  Plus there is the fact that I want everything to be the same so I have to change it on multiple applications – it’s just kind of a huge pain.  They last for 90 days and then it’s time to change it.  The same is true with the password needed to access your mobile device they are good for 90 days and then it forces you to pick a new password and you don’t get access to your phone until you do.  You also can’t reuse the past 25 passwords so they make sure that you pick something unique.  Security is very important and there is lots of valuable information that would be at ones finger tips if you hacked your way in.  So while I understand why the policy is in place I also see the flip side and it’s a huge pain in the ass. 

Being home for a couple days ill, hardly makes today seem like a Friday but thankfully it is.  So I can have a couple days of rest.  We are expected to have a nice ice storm Sunday night and into Monday morning.  Who knows maybe I will get lucky and have Monday off, but I think that is wishful thinking.  I am really over this bitter cold weather.  With such awful temps you would think we would have snow and lots of it, but nope it’s just cold.  I say bring on the snow like a foot or more so we can all have a nice holiday and be snowed in together. 

There is nothing really going on this weekend in the way of preplanned things.  There is the usual activity of laundry, cleaning house, wrangling the trash, cat food and people food.  Outside of that I will be bored out of my mind.  Yeah right.  There is always something to do but it doesn’t mean I have the gumption to do it.  The mandatory things will get done for sure.  In fact I think I will start with dishes tonight that is a nice way to jump start the weekend.  I had thoughts of visiting Sam’s before heading home – get some soda and a nice large pizza then some gas for the car and call it a day.  I may or may not do that, really mostly depends upon how I feel after I get the mail and maybe what the mail contains. 

I feel more of the after effects of the illness with a slight cough now.  My neck ache is gone thanks to last nights awesome night of sleep.  I still kind of feel worn out but I think some of that comes from boredom.  Speaking of which I saw one of my co-workers yesterday he was so bored he fell asleep at his desk.  He looked like he had a stroke but was just leaning to one side and fell asleep.  He caught himself and went to get a Mountain Dew to wake up.  Hell all he really needed to do is step outside for a second.  That nice cold air will wake you up and keep you that way.  I’m glad to see that I am not the only one bored to tears.  He surfs the internet and does it publically on his work machine and leaves pages up on his screen so it’s obvious that you know what he has been up to, not that it matters to me.  I’ve got my laptop because big brother doesn’t need to know what I am up to, all though it would be easy enough for them to trace down if they wanted to.

Well it’s almost time to go setup for a meeting and then I will be back here for a bit stuck to the phone and then I can finally change my password and deal with whatever else happens to come up.  I’ve got a piece of hardware that I am trying to track down, which is always not fun.  But the thrill of the hunt is nice. 

Happy Friday to you and I hope that you enjoy your weekend.  Talk with you peeps again soon.  Stay Warm!!

No comments: