25 March 2014

Catholic Guilt

If I haven’t mentioned it I was raised Roman Catholic.  I left the church a long time ago. 

So I got a phone call this afternoon, it was a guy talking like a million miles a minute.  He wanted me for an interview but told me the hourly rate and then asked if it would be a problem.  I said no and we moved on from there.  I didn’t have a chance to compute anything and after the fact I ran the numbers and it’s only $800 extra and that is assuming I came in at the top rate.  I would have to stay there for a year.  The place is further than where I work now, so transportation cost would increase.  It’s a decent opportunity but they just don’t want to pay.  We setup an interview for tomorrow evening.  I spent a good part of the day thinking about this and declined the interview moments ago.  I feel guilty for doing so but I just don’t think it would work. 

It feels like I just spit in God’s face for giving me what I asked for.  Hence the guilt.  I don’t mean any disrespect but I need way more money than $800 a year. 

The good news is that I did complete a phone interview that was scheduled with another firm this afternoon.  I should be hearing from them either later this week or early next week if they want to see me in person.  This is a job that I really want.  It will keep me busy and there will be local travel involved but I think the working conditions will be a lot more favorable.  My hope is that we can schedule an interview while I am on vacation next week, so no one will be the wiser.  Otherwise it will have to be one of those after work things. 

I am glad the phone is starting to ring.  At least that way I know it’s still working.  Normally I don’t get many calls.

Also good news, I think that my job is safe at least for the moment.  I don’t know that for sure and well there will always be a next time, so I am not stopping my job search.  It is more than apparent to me that I need to move on before I get thrown out on my ass. 

The commute was easy breezy this morning.  However, some people forgot how to drive and there were some major accidents.  All we got was a small dusting of snow and it was gone by noon. 

I am counting the days until vacation.  Looking forward to hopefully sleeping in and doing things that I want to do.  If it all works out I will be physically and emotionally drained, but will have some sense of accomplishment. 

I’m working wonders on my intranet project at work.  It’s very messy and time consuming but I am getting there.  It’s something that in the end I will be very proud of.  I’ve learned so much along the way.  It’s scary but if you just take it a piece at a time you will do fine.  It’s like eating an elephant.  You do it in small bites, so I am told. 

Going to spend time with the fuzzy family.  Talk with you peeps later.

1 comment:

Jude said...

All sounding good, good luck on the next interview!