I just finished up my interview for today. I felt like I was in a Star Trek movie. I parked my car walked into the lobby, had to provide my name to the security guard. He took my photo and printed a plastic id badge that I had to wear. He opened a gate that allowed me access to a bank of elevators and he told me which elevator to take. The doors were open and the elevator knew which floor I was supposed to visit. There were no buttons in the elevator, which is true of all of the elevators in the building. I gathered that your access badge tells the elevator where your allowed to go and will only let you on those specific floors. I don’t know what you do if say your allowed on floors 2, 10, 15 and 36 how do you tell it where you want to go. There were screens that told you which floor you were on and where you were going. The damn thing talks doors open you are now on floor xx and doors closing, going down or going up. Just a little to techy for me.
The interview went very well, so much so that I believe they are going to offer me the job. There would be 2 back to back weeks that I would have to travel for training. I would be away from home and it would be a considerable distance – so it would involve a hotel. I’m not certain that Big Boy would make it 2 full weeks w/o medication. The 3rd week of training I would be back home and getting to know my environment locally. I would be the sole IT person for the office and there are about 100 people to support. Which would be easy. However, they want you to use your cell phone for things like e-mail and after hours on-call. They will pay $90 per month for that, which would cover my bill in full. They charge for parking. They want to offer me about what I was making at my last job for this job. They said after a year I could potentially get an adjustment in pay but to start out it would be low wages.
The travel is my first concern but I can get over that pretty easy. The pay is my overall biggest concern, I can’t work for what I was making and then have them deduct for parking. That would be working for less wages, who does that? I mean I know some people take a cut in pay just to go back to work but it’s not something I can afford to do. I am so conflicted.
The reason why I believe the job is mine is the manager kept saying how impressed she was with my skills and experience. She said that she is finishing up interviews this week and someone would be in touch next week. They will start checking references right away and then go deeper into my background. Who says those types of things if they are not planning on extending an offer? This was a job that I really didn’t want in the first place and just entertained myself by going. I didn’t expect them to make me an offer, I figured I would scare them away with my salary requirements. When I told them I was negotiable is when the glow just came over her and I guess she thought she could get me for cheap because I was desperate.
Granted if the offer comes in time and I accept it would mean that I could live here another month w/o any problems. However, after that I think I would fall short on money. Again, I am so conflicted I do not know what to do.
My hope is that tomorrow I get the same vibes that I got today and they actually offer me a job at what I requested. Then this won’t be an issue. However, for now I am still unemployed so I am still looking.
I know there is the possibility that I could accept and just keep looking but I really want to be done with this. I am looking for a long term home and not just a job bur rather a career. I want an employer that takes care of me and for that I will take care of them. A symbiotic relationship.
In other news, I got my vacation pay and a nasty letter back from my former employer. They didn’t even bother to deduct taxes just wrote me a check out of their generic everyday operations account and called it payroll. I’ve deposited it and just hope that it clears w/o a problem.
Talk with you peeps later.
1 comment:
Can you ask them for a bit more to cover the parking? They can only say either yes or no, and hopefully they'd be receptive to it.
Post a Comment