Yesterday I had the interview with the local municipality. It was a little difficult to find their city hall – nothing is numbered or labeled. So I just took my best guess and turns out I was accurate.
I was welcomed by the lady the arranged everything and then brought into a room where I met their present IT person and some bad ass manager who just kept looking at me like I stole his lunch money. I could tell he was quite impressed with his self. The current IT guy I noticed had a wedding ring on and he was really hot. I did fine on the spoken part of the interview. The little hottie IT guy prepared a test and I know I bombed on that. It was made perfectly clear that you have to be a jack and master of everything IT – there isn’t any escalation paths. So basically you can either do the job or your can’t. This is way over my head and I’m really surprised they called me in for an interview. I would like to expand my knowledge base but not trial by fire. This would be one of those jobs where I would have to be looking over my shoulder constantly and wondering if they are going to fire me. I don’t believe they will choose me and if they do I really don’t want it. It was also tacky they didn’t give much time for the interview its’ self they had another candidate waiting as I left. He was in a full 3 piece suit. Whoopee Doo!
Today was the interview that I have been longing for. I understood that I would be meeting with a managers boss. Turns out I met with the same person I spoke to on the phone. The next interview will be with her boss. So it went for 2 and 1/2 hours. She told me that there are 4 people that she wants to bring back for 2nd interviews and right now I am one of those 4 but I am at the bottom of the list. She asked me where I was months ago and I said I was looking but didn’t see your ad. I opened up quite a bit and short of getting on my knees I begged for the job, multiple times. Turns out my competition is pretty steep so it sounds like if I get this it will just be dumb luck or because I was 2nd choice. I was asked if I would mind coming on as a consultant rather than a Full Time Employee. I said if it’s going to get my foot in the door I am open to it, but much prefer to be a FTE. I was told that IT likes to sample people and see if they are a good fit. You may get moved around but if you fit well into a job and management sees that then they will make you an offer and bring you on board. So the wind was really let out of my sails. I am still in the running and in fact she told me that there were other open positions that I would be perfect for. So HR is supposed to talk with me about those. If they pay as much as this position then I am all for it, otherwise it would be a no go. The commute is a little longer than I thought and I would need every penny of what I asked for in order to be able to justify the daily commute. There was a point in the interview where I disclosed my age, I wasn’t asked directly but there was an inquiry in a round about way. I also disclosed the fact that I am gay, that wasn’t directly asked but I felt at home and decided to let it all hang out, so to speak. I was told there isn’t a problem with that and they actually offer same sex couples benefits. This company is very employee focused and they take care of their own, which is so uncommon in todays world. My hope to become a part of this organization still exists but based on today my hopes are no longer as high as they originally were. I did get some feedback finally on how I can do things different, which was nice.
While I was at my interview I got a call setting up another interview for Thursday. It’s with a Law Firm and I’m not too eager at all about this. It’s a first line role and we have yet to discuss pay but I seriously doubt they will want to pay what I need in order to make it. Still its’ an interview and it will help me hone my interviewing skills. Plus I suppose there is a chance that this will be a good fit in everyway.
My demand letter was delivered today and it went over like a lead balloon. I should have my money by the end of the week. They are not too happy with me but I had to use harsh words in order to get them to realize you can’t keep putting this off, I want my damn money. They are calling it an “oversight”. Right like the way they pay all of their bills late. I was just another creditor to them after I left which is why things got shoved to the side. I don’t believe for one second it was an oversight. They are going to ask me to stop communicating with them, as we have no further business. Well, right we don’t. So long as the check doesn’t bounce. They have been known to write bad checks as well, so I’m not officially done with them until the check actually clears, then yes we are done and I have no plans on bothering them again. However, I’ve made sure they will never ever forget me. To boot I finally got my reference check today, turns out my old boss was a little defensive but overall provided a decent reference. That makes me happy so at least I know if I didn’t get something it wasn’t because of something they did. It did take a while for them to reach him which may be a turn off to some prospective employers. It will be nice to be able to cut the apron strings and put them in the past. Which is what I have been trying to do since late May.
I checked on my unemployment and turns out I only got paid for 1 week instead of 2. So looks like I will have to call those folks tomorrow to find out what gives. I suspect they will tell me that is just the way it is, but I am at least going to try.
I am also still fighting to get my late partners medical records. Now I am told that there wasn’t a HIPAA form submitted with the request. So I asked where do you procure that from. I was told oh the doctors office can give you that. So I called, turns out they have no idea what I am talking about. They took a message and are going to ask the doctor to call me. Well if he does call and he is willing to talk with me, he could save me the money by simply telling me if there was something that my partner was diagnosed with that I didn’t know about. I’m on this little fact finding mission so I can determine if his death was natural or a suicide. I believe it was natural but I can’t ask him the only other person that would know is his doctor. My guess is this will turn into a big ugly mess. I’m not stopping until I either get answers or my heart stops. I want to know and I am entitled to know.
Tomorrow’s agenda includes going to the bank to close out my savings account that I have had since I was like 19 and get the money transferred into my checking account. The checking account requires a direct deposit and the bank is going to start to charge a monthly fee. My staying with them will depend upon how long it will take to find a job. If I don’t see an end in sight I will pull the plug and close the checking account as well. I also have to visit the grocery store. I’ve managed to stave it off for 2 days but tomorrow I have to go, I’m running out of things and there is no point in being desperate and hungry at the same time.
Well that’s it. Time to empty litter boxes, pass out snacks and call it a night. It’s been a very long and trying day. I hope that this all comes to a successful conclusion quickly. Take care and I will talk with you peeps later.
1 comment:
Keeping my fingers crossed that there will be a good position for you there!
Post a Comment