My partner was having some printing issues today and that got me to thinking, folks know about updating their operating systems (ex Windows Updates) and they know to update Programs (ex Adobe Reader) but do they know to update their printer, probably not.
Most all modern day printers have Firmware updates. That is software written specifically for your printer. It can include bug fixes, improve printing, conserve ink and lots of other things. To find out if your printer has a Firmware update get the make (ex HP, Xerox, Lexmark) and the model number of the printer (ex Desk Jet 410, Platinum Pro 905) and then browse to the Manufacturers web page. Look up your specific printer and then look under a tab that could be labeled Software or Software/Downloads, you may find this under a different tab as well. If you locate Firmware look at the date on the file if it’s recent then you will want to download the file and follow the instructions included for updating.
The most important thing is do not do a firmware update when there is a chance you will loose power. So if there is a storm in your area or you are experiencing brown outs, because if you loose power while the update is in progress you very well will destroy your printer. That’s right it will become an oversize paper weight.
While you are at your Manufacturers webpage look to see if there are any other software and/or driver updates. I personally wouldn’t mess with a driver update unless you are having problems printing or communicating with your printer. Other software updates should be okay.
Just like in my last PC TIP, this is information. If you choose to move forward you are doing so at your own risk. So if something goes wrong it’s not my fault. Chances are pretty slim that something will go wrong, but the possibility still exists. So I have to put in this disclaimer.
Earlier this year I had some printing problems with my Lexmark printer. Turns out the print head was shot. I called Lexmark and they sent me new ink and a new print head. I had already installed all of the latest software and firmware updates. I used to go through ink like a normal person would drink water. Now I get much better printing and my printer doesn’t consume ink like it used to. Needless to say I’m very happy.
Happy Computing!
1 comment:
This is good stuff to know, thanks! :-)
Post a Comment