This week has had it’s high and low moments. The best moment of all, thus far is when I saw the news that Arbor came home. It’s seems as one problem is solved another one develops in its place. I think it’s life way of making sure that you get no rest.
Wednesday afternoon I heard my neighbor on the side of his house and the side of mine that has no windows. I presume he was taking out the trash. Then I started hearing objects hit the side of my house and on my roof. It wasn’t an all at once type thing, it happened over the course of 15 to 30 minutes. I don’t know if my neighbor was outside and I didn’t bother to go investigate. The next thing I know I’ve got a strange smell back in the house again. It was subtle at first and has progressed too stronger overnight. Just like last time I started in the living room and has migrated through the house. I don’t know what is in my neighbors’ trash but I would say odds are pretty great that it’s something illegal and it is the cause of all of this. It’s just got to be that because it’s not an odor I have smelled before and everything checks out fine here, unless it’s something under the patio. The last time this happened a few weeks back the odor was much stronger and had an ammonia quality to it. This time it’s not quite as strong and I don’t smell ammonia. Last time it was two full weeks of hell and I drove myself to the point of exhaustion trying to find the source of the odor. We have had sunny weather up until yesterday afternoon, we got a nice soaking. It cooled off a little bit but the forecast for the foreseeable future is hot and sunny. It’s strange that an odor would last 2 weeks, go away and then suddenly return.
Still, I put my thinking cap on and got out the shop vac. It’s got a nice long hose and I shoved it in a couple of the HVAC vents to clean the duct work. I got a little bit of junk out of the living room one and the one in the kitchen it was full of dried cat food, which is exactly what I expected. I don’t think this was nearly as good as what a professional would have accomplished because they use video and I was flying blind. I also only did 2 vents, where a pro would do the whole house and from what I understand they do all of the vents at the same time. They have to have some serious suction if that is the case. Now that these two possible culprits have been eliminated, the only other possible thing I can think of is replacing the vent covers. We had a stray that peed on everything in this house and that includes the vent covers. He’s been dead for at least 5 years and the odor of his urine is mostly gone. The only place I can’t get it out of is the landing at the bottom of the basement steps. The carpet needs to be ripped out and replaced. You only smell it when your close to the landing and after that it’s gone. It doesn’t permeate the house as cat pee is known to do.
Being confined to my home because of COVID and work shutting down I am isolated. The first thing that goes in isolation is your mind. It plays tricks on you and you get easily confused. Part of me is wondering if this isn’t my mind, not that I am going insane but that its mental stress pushing me a little bit too far. I don’t hear voices or see things that aren’t there so maybe I am still with it and the problem truly is my neighbor. Right now, my plan is to ride this out, I don’t want to live another 2 weeks with this funky smell but if it goes away after that and doesn’t return, I will be happy. Tomorrow is also trash day. I am fully aware that once you place your trash bin at the curb it’s public domain, meaning anyone can go through it. I am not doing that now but if this continues don’t be surprised if in the middle of the night, I am out sniffing his garbage. I’m not out to get anyone, I just want to live my so-called life in peace. I’ve had way too much drama and problems not to mention I am getting old.
On the work front today is a very oddly calm day. It’s the first day in a long time that I haven’t had a meeting with my boss or spoken with him by phone. I like those days. I was thinking of taking a week of vacation in July but turns out boss man is taking 2 weeks. I still wanted my time and found that his offer to do anything for me was nothing but a bunch of words that sound nice. He was really concerned that I would be out the same time as him and I had no one to cover the weekend of my week of on-call, which is what I was going to take off. He said that his boss wouldn’t approve it. Well fuck him, it’s my time and last year was the first year where I actually took vacation in full week intervals. My co-worker that is out now but will be back then has plans for the weekend, otherwise this would have been all cut and dry. However, as per usual I have to be the one who compromises and is flexible. I’m taking two days and then going back on-call at 5p on Friday so I will have the weekend covered. I don’t expect anything to happen, weekends and even evenings are typically quiet after 7p. However, once and a while that isn’t the case. Don’t you know if I turned my phone off and did I what I wanted to do, the world would fall apart and I’d lose my job. Best not to take chances.
I did look for a job and there are plenty of things out there, most of what appealed to me was stale and 30 days or older. Sure, I could have given it a shot and applied but all things considered I am really not in a position where I want to change jobs. I do think that is what it is going to come to in order to get peace of mind in the end, but we just aren’t there yet. I will keep an eye out here and there and if things get worse then I will ramp up my search to a full-time thing. Starting over is scary, not to mention you loose seniority and most of the time (but not always) you loose vacation time. Your also on pins and needles being the new kid in town and have to get to learn the politics of the office, who is two faced and will throw you under the bus just as soon as look at you and who is your so-called friend. I say so called friend because it is rare to form a lasting friendship from a working relationship. I am not saying it can’t be done because I have done it. If you don’t invest in people and let them in, thinking they are your friend then it’s impossible for them to hurt you. I get hurt easily and I also think I am good judge of character and people but I’ve been smacked in the face by that before. When you know better, you do better or at least you should.
In other news my kitty has been quite loud in the middle of the night and not letting me sleep. Last night I had problems falling asleep so we got to bed late and she started up right after I turned the lights out. I figured I would stay a step ahead and just kicked her out. Damn cordless phone battery died in the middle of the night and it started chirping and woke me up. I fixed that, she knew I was up and I fed her and went back to bed, waiting for her. In she comes screaming the whole way, not wanting to jump up in bed but doing it anyway. She sat with me for a few minutes and then left me. With about an hour left to sleep, she woke me up. I kicked her out and went back to bed for what felt like 5 minutes. I had some great dreams but ultimately, I wake up and feel like I have never been to bed in the first place. Thinking about this problem it’s good that she is doing it now if it has to happen at all. When the day comes that I do have to go back in, if she still has this habit then she will be sleeping alone and so will I. Since I am at home now, I can nap when I please it doesn’t make up for it but it is nice to escape from everything and everyone if only for 30 minutes to an hour. I love her to death but she is no good for me when it comes to getting a good night’s rest. It’s almost like she needs a night time human in addition to her day time human. As for me I just need a man.
Unless something drastic changes or I don’t feel up to it, I have planned this weekend to drive about an hour and a half, which will seem like forever to visit a buffet that I used to frequent regularly prior to COVID. I am somewhat hungry for the food but it’s the drive and time away that I crave the most. Not thinking about work, having to tend to my cat or smell this foul odor and just being on the road watching for idiots so they don’t crash into my car. Listening to music and relaxing as well as enjoying some good food. I hope this comes to fruition. The alternative is to stay home, get up early on Saturday and paint the garage trim. I plan to take the trip as a reward to myself. Wanted to this last weekend but I was on-call and afraid about tempting fate. Coverage is spotty and there is a couple of miles with no coverage at all, including satellite radio (which I no longer have).
One more day to get through and what ever fresh hell that brings me. Need to take out the trash and then start supper. I’m having the chicken & broccoli casserole from Stouffers that I so enjoy. I will have left overs for tomorrow night. It just takes forever to cook and isn’t exactly easy to rewarm but I suppose if I used an oven instead of a microwave the results for reheating would be better. Looking forward to watching United States of AL tonight to get me some Parker Young. We don’t play on the same team but damn he’s got a nice body to look at and why not appreciate it. If I am lucky, he will take his shirt off, if not then I will need to dream. Give him a google if you’re not familiar with him, if you like guys you won’t be disappointed. He’s an American Actor and not a porn star (damn).
Hope this week has treated you well thus far and that your Friday & weekend are amazing. Stay safe, be well and try to stay cool. I know there is a heatwave over much of the US. Talk with you all again soon. I do appreciate your readership and comments are always welcome. Take care.
No comments:
Post a Comment