12 August 2018

Vet Visit

I passed out lunch and Marv turned his nose up at his food and walked away.  He had problems getting comfortable.  I made the call to take him in, rather than deal with the unknown.  I also tried to play with him and he had little interest. 

Good news is that his weight is up, given that he has hyperthyroidism that is a good thing.  Bad thing is that there is muscle wasting going on.  He doesn’t get much exercise, I mean he’s a cat and loves to just lounge.  That is what cats do. 

So one of his knees is what they think is the problem.  His joint wasn’t big enough so the knee slips around.  He has always walked with a hitch in his giddy up but this is much worse.  They gave me gabapentin to give to him.  It’s a super low dose and 2 weeks worth was $32.  That is some expensive medicine but hey if it works and fixes his problem I will be more than happy to find a way to make it work. 

It’s obviously over apparent to me that Marv very much misses his brother and because of that he may have decided to give up.  All I can say for certain at this point is that I know he doesn’t feel good and I am very concerned.  They did blood work for his thyroid and those results could help provide some insight as to what is going on with him.  My biggest concern here is that I am going to lose him and that is not something I am prepared for – emotionally or financially.  Granted if push comes to shove and it’s necessary to go down that road I will find a way to make it work, that is just my nature. 

Today’s visit cost about as much as my glasses so now the card I just got paid off is back to what it was at the time of Bear’s loss.  The good news is that there is no interest so long as the balance is paid within 6 months and I think I can make that work. 

While I am not anxious to become a salaried employee I kind of wish the process would speed up so that I had the extra money because the bills pile up pretty quick. 

Poor Marv, he hates pills and prior to this he had to take 2 twice a day, now were up to 3 twice a day.  He won’t like it very much but we will make it somehow.  I will start him on his first dose tonight and see what happens.  He will be more sleepier but outside of that there shouldn’t be any noticeable side effects.  I hope that he feels better soon, he’s my buddy and I need him.  The vet did say he will probably never jump again and hey I’m okay with that.  So long as he can navigate around for food, litter and chasing after his sisters all is well. 

This just sucks but hopefully it’s a short lived issue and we will work past it and life will go back to normal.  Let’s hope so and hope that I don’t turn into a smurf from holding my breath. 

No comments: