24 June 2014

So far it’s only Tuesday

Monday was therapy.  My therapist is some yuppie woman who appears to be in complete control of life and strikes me as the typical doctor type who thinks they are better than you.  At least that is the vibe she gives off.  The 1st session it’s self went well and she feels that I am suffering from PTSD and that I have not fully grieved the loss of my partner.  She has encouraged me to mix it up at home and make changes so that the place looks more like my place than our place.  There are a couple of changes I would like to make but that involves work and we all know how much I love to procrastinate.  I am still thinking of taking over what used to be his bedroom but I am not too eager to act on that.  For now I will be meeting with her 1 time per week and if I find a job she said that she would work around my schedule, which was a pleasant surprise in that her hours are like 9-5 but she told me she does lots of after hours work.  I would have to drive to a different place but good to know that a job wouldn’t be a deal breaker. 

I have spent many hours tinkering with a response to letters I got my from former employer.  I finally settled on what I think is the best version and mailed it today.  When I didn’t get a paycheck this time that kind of hurt.  I thought they owed me additional money for time worked but checking into it further that is not the case.  They do however owe me for vacation time and I am pursing that.  However, the state that I worked in has no provisions for recovering vacation pay.  An employer can promise to pay and then not come through.  There is no recourse for the former employee.  The only thing that you can legally go after is Wages earned.  Failure to pay wages is a crime.  Given the fact that I am sticking them with a paperweight for a laptop I suspect they will fail to pay my vacation.  I have also informed them that I was advised by an attorney not to sign their separation agreement.  So given the fact that I won’t be doing that they probably won’t be issuing a letter of recommendation.  They are disappointed in me and I am just mad as hell at them.  It’s best if we just left each other alone, then we would probably get along better.  My letter will be delivered tomorrow and I suspect that the fireworks will erupt shortly after.  I have no idea on their next move but it will be interesting to see. 

2nd job Interview.  I had my 2nd interview today with a major employer in the area.  This is the job working with the mentally challenged.  I got a tour of the building and got to learn more about what they actually do.  It’s a relaxed atmosphere but not to sound funny literally I would be surrounded by crazy people.  Parts of the building smell like an old nursing home.  No one actually lives in this location, it’s an outpatient facility.  Very interesting concept and it brings hope to people with mental illness that need rehabilitation and want to reenter the work force.  However, there is absolutely no privacy.  I am told that patients will constantly approach you and want to make small talk, as well as report computer problems.  I do like to help people but I also have a weak tolerance for stupid.  It sounds like a nice place and given how things went and how the interview ended I believe that I will be made an offer.  Not sure if it will be worth it but it would be a job.  One of the things I was told that is if I accept an offer that there would be a 2 week process of various things that occur from background checks, drug tests to immunizations.  One of the guys said he had to get like 40 shots before he started there.  Wow, that is a lot of needles.  They asked me if I was a smoker, chewer or used tobacco in any form.   When I told them know there was a sigh of relief because this organization hires only non-smokers.  I think that is discriminatory but it’s not one of the protected classes so they can get away with it.  I’m told that word one way or the other will come this week.

My next interview is tomorrow in the afternoon.  I am less thrilled about this and expect them to offer me a job if not on site shortly there after.  Now I am trying to choose in my mind if you pit one against the other which one is the better opportunity.  Not to mention which one pays better and provides the most stability.  I wish I was excited about one of these jobs instead of looking at both of them as duds.  All I know is that I can’t afford to turn my nose up at anything at this point.  I am the one in need and the one who will make a move out of desperation. 

Stay tuned and we will see if I can get back to work soon, even if it’s a job I don’t love today, maybe I will fall in love with it over time.  Talk with you peeps later.

1 comment:

Jude said...

Your last paragraph says it all, I was thinking the same thing! Good luck, I hope you hear this week!