28 October 2021

No change

Yesterday I heard back from my doctor and as I suspected his medical opinion will not change because my employer changed my job description.  Since the only reason HR said that I needed to return to the office was to manage hardware that was formerly in my job description, it doesn’t sound like there is truly a need for me to go back to the office, other than the fact that by in large everyone else has.  My request now moves to management and it will be up to them if I have a mandate to return.  I am optimistic because I have the support of my manager but it’s his boss that will actually have the final say in the matter.  I am back to waiting for a final determination.

What is really frustrating here is that on one hand my employer says we want to help you but then their last interaction with my doctor said we want him back in the office, please make it so.  If you truly wanted to help me you wouldn’t have forced the issue with my doctor but rather just took his original medical opinion, and granted the accommodation.  I do realize that there was no end date on the accommodation and that is what they were looking for but I really think they could have handled it differently.  The battle has not been lost yet but the odds I would say are less in my favor given that my doctor has said it was okay for me to return 2 days a week.  This is just a bit out of control and a mess, but I’ve been through a lot worse. 

In other news I am on a 7 day trial at no cost with Mint Mobile.  I went the eSim route which is an electronic SIM that is sent to your device.  My phone now sees 2 phone lines and I can toggle between them at will or I can turn one of them off.  When calls come in there is either a P meaning the call came from the primary line of a S which means the call is coming from the secondary line.  Tempting as it is to keep both phone lines I only really need 1.  My present carrier angered me and was inflexible on rates.  Mint mobile piggy backs off of TMOBILE and I happen to have decent coverage in my area from them.  Verizon has the best coverage in my area but major carriers all have one thing in common they charge way too much and give as little as they can to the consumer.  Mint discounts the rates and you can buy in for up to 12 months at the introductory rate.  The thing I don’t know is what the price will be after the introductory rate is over.  This could turn out to be a big smoke and mirror show.  The main two reasons why I have kept my present carrier is that my home phone and mobile phone are tied to one voice mail box and they also have great incoming call protection that permits me to block people at will, but I pay extra for that.  If I do wind up switching to Mint or another carrier I would have to find an app to manage call control and as for voice mail I’d have to live with having 2 separate mailboxes, not that I get many calls in the first place.  The end game here is to reduce my monthly cost without having to sacrifice on quality of service.  I’m sure Mint will be heavily campaigning to get me to switch.  The real challenge will be how coverage is when I leave home. 

I am into Season 4 of Friday Night Lights.  One more season after this and I am done.  Heard the announcement yesterday that in a couple week Tiger King 2 will be out and I am looking forward to watching that.  Not much else going on right now.  Hoping for a peaceful weekend. 

Thanks for stopping by, hope all is well in your world.  Talk with you again soon. 

No comments: