17 May 2020

Marvin

Today I believe I uncovered what all of the howling with Marvin has been about.  His back leg where the knee joint didn’t form, well he is limping now.  I suspect it’s arthritis but he could have injured it.  I don’t know why but I paid very close attention to his gate and caught it.  I saw him repeat it time and time again.  He asked to come up on the couch next to me for some noodle time and I got to palpate it.  He wasn’t terribly happy with me about that but he didn’t whimper.  In general he doesn’t like it when you mess with the paws – front or rear. 

I feel so bad for not catching this sooner.  I am going to give him a pain pill tonight to hopefully help him out.  I have ordered a joint supplement called Cosequin that he was on when he was younger.  I am going to start him on that and see if we can’t get some improvement.  It will be here on Tuesday.  There is a newer version of this supplement called Dasequin it’s made by the same folks who make the other stuff, just contains more things and is supposed to run circles around the other stuff.  However, I saw some folks say it didn’t do much and one person said their cat got a Urinary Tract Infection from taking it.  Marvin has never had any urinary issues and I don’t want to even venture into that area if possible.  Therefore, I am sticking to what he had years back.  I think we stopped because he didn’t seem to be in any pain and felt that it was pissing our money away for nothing.  I oddly found a box that is still full of pills and expired by 10 years.  I thought for a second and almost gave it to him but considering how far out of date it is I figured while it may help the risk is far too great.  Better safe than sorry, pay for fresh and go with it.  Considering we are in the midst of a pandemic that is my only reason for not taking him to the vet straight away.  If things don’t improve then we will certainly be paying them a visit. 

I have had this overwhelming fear ever since Momma passed that Marvin would be next and not terribly far behind her.  Other than limping, he seems normal.  Eating, drinking and wanting affection/attention.  I hope my fear is unfounded and that he not only improves but lasts for a couple more years. 

We were given an option when he was just a kitten for surgery and elected not to do it because it was thousands of dollars.  The pain and recovery also factored into it.  It would have taken some serious rehabilitation to get him back to a state of normal.  He has always walked funny but it’s gotten much worse in his old age. 

I am certainly glad that I am prohibiting him from jumping because that would not only do further damage, he may very well break something.  I hope I can nurse my furry friend back to a comfortable state.  No doubt hat he won’t feel any pain tonight.  He is in for some serious sleep.  I don’t like to use pain pills because I don’t want a drugged up animal all the time but conversely I don’t want him in any pain, ever. 

Today I spent the bulk of the day relaxing and with the cats.  They got some extra food, we had a quick nap, they have slept a lot more than me.  I look forward to a nice evening continuing the relaxing theme before I have to go back to the hum drum of work.  I am glad that I will be here with him for comfort and peace of mind.  

I will certainly keep you posted.  Hope your Sunday is going well. 

No comments: