Yesterday I made the hike to the new restaurant that I have been wanting to try. It was a 3 hour trip (1 hour and 30 minutes each way) and the food was horrible. I’ve got something checked off on the bucket list but it’s not a trip that I have plans to make again, at least not to that place. I saw a pizza place that looked interesting but it’s a long hike to make for something that I can get in my own neck of the woods. I saw the old pie place while I was there. The signs are still standing and the place is vacant. I don’t know why they decided to close that location but if they would have stayed open they would have gotten me for a sit down meal, a slice of pie and a soda. Then I would have left with at least 1 pie and some bakery items. I never went there without dropping $50 to $75 and that was all food items. The gas was separate. As it was the trip I made was $17 in food and $39 in gas, not exactly cheap but it was nice to see some different surroundings and to not have to worry about anything or anyone bothering me.
My stomach was upset the entire trip home and for most of the evening. I didn’t want to eat anything else. The drive zapped my energy level and I wanted a nap. I haven’t been sleeping the best and I do hope that changes quickly.
I got a note from my doc and submitted it to work. I doubted they would take it since it sited the fact that I still have a cough but not to worry, I got confirmation everything is good and my return is on track for next Tuesday. I made an in person appointment to follow up with my doc in May so we can take a peek at my normal blood work and I can get a couple other issues that are lingering addressed if they don’t clear up by then.
Made it to the pharmacy finally to get my medicine this morning. Had breakfast out, filled up the tank and grabbed some bakery from Sam’s then back home.
I got a call yesterday from my tree trimming guy who I was just about to give up on and he has plans to be here on Saturday. I just met with my neighbor to talk about the Oak tree that borders our property and I have a green light to get that cleaned up. We chatted about some of the trees in the back yard that borders each of our properties and he is working on quotes to have them chopped down. That will easily be a $5 to $7 thousand dollar job. There is another guys property that is affected so we would be splitting the cost 3 ways to make it affordable. I should be hearing more in the next couple weeks, I am not in any hurry because everything on my property is still alive. It’s when they die that trees are more likely to fall. Still these are pretty tall and we have had a couple of close calls. The last thing I want is for any of them to fall and cause damage or worse yet injury to someone. Just part of the joys of home ownership.
I completed re-watching Queer As Folk the US Series again. I think I’ve done this like 3 or 4 times now. I own the complete series on DVD but since I have Showtime I just streamed the show via their app on my Roku. I think about how many Sundays we would gather in the basement to watch the show, it is something we did as a couple. I can’t help but think of my late spouse when I watch that series it was part of many of ‘the good old days’ that I refer to. I know the show has since been rebooted but it’s done with none of the original cast and there are new characters. I am all for a reboot but bring back the original cast to continue to the story where it left off. I don’t know that will ever happen. Reboots also don’t often last a long time.
I’ve got Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday left before my world goes back to some state of normal. I am eager and apprehensive at the same time. I want to go back but I prefer to do it on my terms, meaning that if I get tired I could take a nap or if my sleep is interrupted I could call the day off but that’s not how the world works. Fortunately we are still in a hybrid work mode and I hear that most people are only in the office 2 of the 3 days that are required, the rest of time is spent working from home. It does sound like this summer if the pandemic stays on track and cases are low that we will have a full return to the office and eliminate work from home but that is all speculative. People will revolt just as they did when it was announced we were going from 2 days in the office to 3 days in the office. Now that everyone has had a taste of remote work the good majority of people don’t ever want to go back to the office. I’m fine with a couple days. I need an area where I am able to concentrate on work and not have to worry about the cat or run to the fridge because I think I am hungry. Isolation ultimately isn’t good for any human being. While we have all proven we can do a full time job from home there is something about getting out that is mentally good for one. I am pretty much isolated at work and don’t have many people that come walking into my office. I get more phone call and email traffic. However, since I have been away people are engaging my counterpart more and more. I’m fine if he gets some of the direct contact I had before, just so long as we keep each other in the know. Playing catchup is what I am most apprehensive about but I am fairly certain that things will fall into place with time and work on my part.
I have already proven to myself that I still have what it takes. We had a problem with a bunch of access cards that are going to expire later this year. I took an hour of my time in the evening to form a query that would give us the data so we know who’s card needs to be adjusted. I did this mostly because I saw my boss had setup a recurring meeting that went on for weeks on end for the entire team. That’s part of the BS that I have no tolerance for. Let me work it out and between me and my counterpart we can knock this out next week and then the meeting can be cancelled and we can all spend our time doing something much more productive. Our boss is a meeting happy person, he schedules more meetings on a whim because he thinks we need them. He creates work and draws things out when it is really not that complicated or needed. Just get a couple people to work together and the tasks can get knocked out quicker than having to involve God & Country. Ah well at least he will be off for the first week of my return after that I have to grin and bare it so to speak, hopefully he has calmed down some but based on what I have heard thus far it doesn’t sound like that is the case.
Part of the reason why I have tried to run away from home for a bit this week is in the hopes of getting Gator used to the fact that I won’t be here full time. She seems extra super clingy and I do worry about her. It’s comforting and nice to watch her melt like a pat of butter on a hot stove when she is in my lap. She stretches out and falls into the deepest slumbers, snoring away. Based on previous experience she is just behaving as an older cat would. She doesn’t show any signs that she is trying to shutdown but I do often worry about that to the point where the fear sometimes outweighs the reward of the time I still have left with her. Since I wasn’t feeling the best last night we skipped her medicine and that has made her extra hungry today. I have been really diligent with her medication and she isn’t terribly happy when pill time rolls around but it’s always followed with a can of food so there is some good with the bad.
Not much else going on at the moment. I plan to take tomorrow as an off day, meaning stay home all day and loaf. Saturday I will get back out and do some running after the yard work wraps up. I hope that your doing well and comfortable. Be well and I will talk with you all again soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment