18 February 2022

Watching TV & Taxes

I came across a network/channel on my Roku called Tubi.  They have all sorts of content TV Shows and Movies.  The best part is they don’t need any of your information for you to watch and it is 100% free.  Everything has ad breaks in it, which is kind of inconvenient when your watching a movie but then again Hulu throws in commercials when I watch movies.  Anyway I figured out under TV shows they have The Best of Gallagher.  It’s 14 1 hour shows.  I am watching them slowly.  I can only take so much of Gallagher but he is truly entertaining.  I remember back when I was a kid and discovered him, I think it was my brother who told me about him.  The Sludge-O-Matic is how he closes out most of his shows by smashing food and the infamous Watermelons on the crowd.  I wouldn’t enjoy sitting in the front row and getting sprayed with food but I see lots of people pick up what they get splattered with and eat it. 

I have completed and filed my Income Taxes for 2021.  I usually wind up owing money to the state that I live in but since my employer has been deducting taxes while I was working at home for my state that changed the game this year.  I am getting a refund.  I owe money to the state where my employer is located but thankfully it’s a very small sum and I’ve got the check written and will mail it out tomorrow.  What I don’t like is paying money to file my taxes but my late spouse swore by Turbo Tax and that’s who I have trusted.  I tried H&R Block because my employer offered a discount one year but I didn’t like their interface.  I use the on-line portal and don’t bother with loading software on my computer.  My account has 2 Factor Auth. on it and I get emails whenever my account is accessed as an extra measure of security.  I really wish that instead of getting a refund or owing money that I would just break even but if that can’t happen a refund is my preference. 

As per usual there is always something that gobbles up my refund.  I see that my auto insurance is due and while it won’t take up my entire refund it will eat a good portion of it.  As the saying goes a fool and his money soon part.  Lucky me. 

Our little Winter Weather event passed and was mostly ice.  I got the trash out last night but walked on my lawn instead of the driveway.  A little trick my late spouse taught me.  It went off without a hitch.  No one had their trash out at 7p when I was out.  However, I see this morning that at some point my neighbors joined the bandwagon.  I heard the trucks this morning when I was going back to bed after waking up at 4am to the crowing Gator.  We both had breakfast and then watched some TV until I got sleepy (when the sugar high from the cereal wore off) and went back to bed. 

I am feeling pretty much normal, just working on endurance and fighting fatigue.  When I get that figured out I need to work on my sleep schedule.  Work will be calling in a few more weeks and while it seems like it’s far off, I know that all too soon I will be back to the grind, like it or not. 

I am also fighting off severe depression.  That’s not exactly easy when you see the same 4 walls everyday.  Getting out even if only the grocery store, cat food store and/or post office helps a little bit.  Lasts week and again this week I went out for a drive for about an hour just making a full circle from where I started.  It helped break up the monotony and gave me a change of scenery.  Not to mention it also helped charge the cars battery, which goes flat if it sits all week.  I haven’t had to jump start it but vehicles are made to be driven.  With all of the advances in technology I get the impression that even though that vehicle is not running a computer is powered on and transmitting data.  That was the case when I had remote access to my vehicle, it was always listening for a signal.  I really wish that depression would leave me alone it’s been a life long thing but worsened with the loss of my spouse and I have been to some very low points. 

I have had a flood of memories both good and bad while I have been recovering.  I think about the way things used to be when I was a kid, when I first moved into this place and can mentally picture my late spouse walking in and out of the house, meals that he made and things we used to do.  While my life hasn’t exactly been a cake walk, I think that I had a pretty good life.  My life right now isn’t bad, just lonely and I would like to change a few things like where I live and potentially where I work.  I also think about my brother and have thoughts of reconnecting with him but I know deep down that is a very bad idea.  I do wonder if he thinks of me, but I think that his wife occupies all of his time and he really isn’t able to think for himself because she is in control. Perhaps I am wrong but those are my feelings. 

It’s late and unusual for me to be in front of the computer this late.  I am going to publish this and then get back up to see what Gator is up to and find something on TV to watch.  The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is back on and I have already seen the first two episodes.  Next Friday there should be two more to watch. 

I hope that your warm, doing well and safe.  Take care and I will talk with you all again soon. 

2 comments:

Susan said...

Hi Jeremy,

You have mentioned suffering with depression before. Have you considered seeing a therapist? In my experience, talking to an "outsider" can be quite helpful. I would hope/expect that your company group insurance would pay a good portion of the expense, too. It's something to think about. Good luck and take care.

Susan

Jeremy Ryan said...

I've been through therapy before. I think the biggest boost I will get is when I go back to work. Most of my depression right now stems from being bored, the lingering COVID symptoms I have and loneliness. If that doesn't change things for me then I will reevaluate. Appreciate your kind words! :)