03 April 2021

Crash

I wasn’t terribly excited about today because there was a lot to get done in a short period of time.  I got everything I needed to get done taken care of by 10:30a.  I should have worked in a trip to Lowe’s & Target but I continue to procrastinate, as if my needs are going to go away or something.  My tree guy showed up and managed to get a good portion of the work done before his saw broke.  He will be back sometime next week to finish up.  The backyard already looks much better and the grass will grow more because sunlight is now getting through.  I am also sure the neighbors are thrilled the dead leaning tree is gone. 

After he left I decided that I would take a little bit of a nap and that happened.  I woke up and watched a live radio show over the internet, which is always fun.  Then I got dressed and hit the road for pizza.  I figured this would be my reward and treat for the day.  What I didn’t know is this was going to be the most expensive pizza I have had in a very long time. 

I exited the freeway/interstate there was a motorhome ahead of me towing a vehicle.  We both were headed in the same direction.  Only one problem, I got into the turn lane where it began, as your supposed to.  The motorhome decided to cross the solid white line and side swiped me.  I hit the horn and tried to prevent it from happening but the guy was committed and never even saw me, despite my day time running lights.  I kind of gave him a story that I was in his blind spot and he ran with it.  No one was injured thankfully but my poor vehicle sustained the worst of the damage.  I was already planning on calling the police when he said lets report it.  I did that and we waited for the police to show up.  Turns out this was the guys very first accident and he was older in age.  His wife wasn’t pleased with him and I don’t know that he got to drive anymore on their trip home.  We were both stopping for food oddly enough.  Him a burger and well you know I was already going for pizza.  His wife thanked me for being so nice.  What’s the point of getting all upset, it’s not like you can undo what has already been done.  I wasn’t happy but I was professional and him and I carried on a civil conversation while we waited for the cops to do their thing.  They were slow and it took about 45 minutes plus the 10 minutes we waited on them to show up.  The guy was so apologetic and I told him the first thing your insurance company should have told you is never to say I am sorry because it’s an admission of fault/guilt.  I told him to keep that in mind for future use after that he apologized again.  He got a ticket that will set him back $160 not to mention what is going to happen to his insurance rates, but he may luck out there and get accident forgiveness. 

I’ve got all kinds of inconvenience.  I have to travel to the body shop on Monday to get an estimate, wait on them to get parts, etc.  Then we setup an appointment and then have to get a rental car.  Then it’s waiting for the work to be done, which probably will be a couple days because it’s most of the passenger side.  It’s times like these that make me wish I was driving a Sherman Tank. 

Needless to say I was never so happy to get home and see Ms. Gator.  She is wailing now because I have been down here for a couple hours.  Between calling the insurance company and completing on-line paperwork as well as catching up on bills and sorting through the mail. 

I am headed up to see her and hopefully find something to watch on TV that will take my mind off of all of this.  The accident was totally not what I wanted and I’ve been in similar situations before but managed to avoid being hit.  If he would have had a blind spot detector on that fancy motorhome this would have never happened.  Like I told him it could always be worse but it’s bad enough as is.  Thankfully no one was injured or killed.  Maybe next time I will just pop a Tombstone in the oven, too many crazy drivers on a nice sunny day. 

Talk with you all again soon. 

No comments: