20 February 2021

It’s A Sin

HBOMax–Trailer | It’s A Sin

Earlier this week I saw social media was a buzz with a Gay TV Series on HBOMax called It’s A Sin.  Not knowing what I was getting myself into I started to watch.  It’s based in London and that is normally enough to cause me to stop watching, but I pressed on.  This is a drama series about the AIDS Crisis as it played out in London back in the 1980’s.  Holy Shit, it was terrifying.  More so now I think because of the COVID crisis.  There’s good music, good looking boys (men) and great dialog.  The part that I didn’t like was all of the sickness & death but that is part of the story.  It shows how real it was, it shows that if you got it you were isolated from the world in a hospital room that was locked 24/7 and no one really entered, they just waited for you to die.  When you did they came in donning hazmat suits and gloves, they tossed you into a box, scrubbed the room down to disinfect and it sat ready for the next victim. 

Since I presume most of my audience is gay, as am I.  I mean with a blog titled New Homo Blogo if I wasn’t gay it would be rather odd, don’t you think?  Back on point.  It’s difficult enough figuring out your sexual identity, coming to terms with it and then beginning to come out to those you love and care about (normally family and friends).  Mix in religion and you of course learn it’s a sin to engage in homosexual sexual acts.  It took me a while to realize that.  It’s not a sin to be gay, it’s a sin to act upon it.  It’s no wonder so many kids & adults are mentally fucked up because of this.  Then throw in a gay plague, that if you catch it you’ve sentence yourself to death.  My now you have to figure out if 5 minutes of pleasure is worth a death sentence.  Thankfully there has been much progress in AIDS research with treatments and preventions that were in much better shape than when this was first discovered.  I was in High School at the time and remember hearing about it in the locker room for the first time. 

The interesting part of this drama filled series for me was those that I knew were gay, I never suspect who would actually get it and die.  I was also disheartened that there are only 5 episodes but they are each an hour but seemed much longer to me.  I binge watched the show as I was all in.  Just like Queer As Folk, they did a great job of making the simulated sex hot and very real. 

A trailer of the series is at the top of the page (in case you didn’t notice).  The Pet Shop Boys song with the same name appears at the bottom.  The music was really good, there were some familiar tunes. 

If your looking for something to watch, give this series your time.  It didn’t exactly help my depression but it did occupy my mind so that I didn’t think so much of my isolation due to COVID.  If you watch, I’d be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Pet Shop Boys–It’s A Sin

No comments: